Wednesday, July 11, 2012

REVIEW: Fatal Fortune by Elizabeth Delisi

Title: Fatal Fortune (Lottie Baldwin #1)
Author: Elizabeth Delisi
Publisher: Tirgearr Publishing
Publication Date: June, 2012
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Rating: 5/10

Description: No one in Cheyenne, ND believes in Lottie Baldwin's psychic abilities; especially not Harlan Erikson, Lottie's boyfriend, and sergeant in the Sheriff's Office. When a friend's husband disappears, Lottie can't leave it to Harlan. Armed with her courage and her tarot cards, she tries to solve the mystery herself, regardless of who attempts to stop her: Harlan, her friend -- or the criminal.

My Thoughts: Fatal Fortune by new to me author, Elizabeth Delisi, is marketed as the first in a series. This book was just O.K. for me. I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it. While reading, I felt myself being pulled out of the story due to the repeated references of past events. It made me feel like I was missing the beginning of the story and because of that I didn’t feel connected to the characters as much as I would have liked.

I did like Lottie and Harlan. Their relationship is comfortable and you can tell they have been together for a while. They are so different from one another, but fit together perfectly, like peanut butter and jelly. They are also both equally stubborn people, though as a cop, I expect Harlan to be. A pet peeve for me in any mystery or thriller or suspense is when characters that are not trained as investigators, go off and investigate on their own. Sometimes, they invite more trouble and danger to themselves, than if they had just stayed out of it, especially when they aren’t that great at it. Lottie narrowly misses becoming another victim because she doesn’t stay out of it. I get she wants to help her friend and in her place, most of us would do the same thing, but were it not for Harlan’s timely appearance, Lottie would be dead.

The mystery was decent and held a few surprises for me. I was way off on my pick for the villain, but there were many possible candidates to choose from, which I like. A mark of a good mystery is when the reader is not able to figure out the entire plot in the first chapter. It took me most of the book and I was surprised, not only at who it was, but why.

Avid mystery fans will enjoy the mystery, but overall, this book is a rocky start to a series that hopefully will develop into something more with the next book.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)