Friday, August 31, 2012

REVIEW: Killer Summer by Lynda Curnyn

Title: Killer Summer
Author: Lynda Curnyn
Publisher: Red Dress Ink
Publication Date: June, 2005
Genre: Chick Lit
Rating: 8/10

Description: Three friends. One dead body.
The summer they'll never forget . . .

Sharing a beach house on Fire Island seems like a killer way for best friends Zoe, Sage and Nick to spend summer together. But just as they're dreaming of sunset margaritas and late-night barbecues, the body of their house hostess washes up on the beach. Talk about a buzz kill . . .

Now all Zoe can think about is why the "grieving" husband is planning parties rather than mourning his wife. Nick suddenly has secrets he can't tell a soul. And Sage is trying to score booty as if it's her last summer on earth . . . which it just might be. Because despite the ocean views and endless parties, Zoe, Sage and Nick have stopped wondering if the good times will last and started wondering if they will . . .

My Thoughts: Another very good offering from the now defunct Red Dress Ink line. I feel like I'm beating the dead horse here, but I can't help it. I am such an obsessed chick-lit girl; I collected every release published by Red Dress Ink that I had missed out on after I signed up for home delivery. Every month, I would literally jump up and down and do the happy dance when my Red Dress Ink shipment arrived. I couldn't be happier when some of the titles began to cross into other genres such as mystery and paranormal. Sadly, as with a lot of good things, it came to an end and I was left with a whole bunch of Red Dress Ink books that I have dragged my feet reading because I want them to last.

I chose Killer Summer this year because this has been a killer summer here in the Pit of H.E Double Hockey Sticks where I live. Perhaps a little respite at the beach is in order. I am sure that's all Zoe, Sage and Nick are looking for. Sage's boss has a beach house on Fire Island and the three best friends agree to timeshare space there for the summer, though Zoe's heart really isn't in to it. She gets stuck in the city picking up items for the dinner party being thrown by the house hostess, Maggie. Zoe doesn't arrive with everyone else but instead takes the last ferry out. When Zoe arrives at the house, it's obvious the dinner party has been canceled as evidenced by Maggie's absence from the house. Unfortunately for Zoe, she takes Maggie's pooch for a walk and discovers Maggie's corpse on the beach.

The majority of the book focuses on Zoe's conviction that Maggie's death is no accident, especially since Maggie's husband does not appear to be grieving. It's always the husband that did it, right? He certainly appeared suspicious to me but as the book unfolds, so did a lot of other people. I enjoy it when a mystery has several layers and isn't obvious. Another aspect of this book that I also thoroughly enjoyed is different points of view. Each chapter has a different point of view from Zoe, Sage, Nick or Maggie. Sometimes too many points of view can confuse a story, but I thought it made this one more intriguing.

I also enjoyed the dynamics of all the different relationships. It made for some very interesting characters. I have only read one other book by this author, but I enjoyed this one more and am looking forward to more from this author. Take a break from your killer summer, kick back with something cold and frosty to drink, kick off your shoes and dive into this book. I think you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)