Monday, January 20, 2020

REVIEW: Lending A Paw by Laurie Cass

Title: Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #1)
Author: Laurie Cass
Publisher: NAL
Publication Date: December 2013
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Buy the Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: With the help of her rescue cat, Eddie, librarian Minnie Hamilton is driving a bookmobile based in the resort town of Chilson, Michigan. But she’d better keep both hands on the wheel, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride…

Eddie followed Minnie home one day, and now she can’t seem to shake the furry little shadow. But despite her efforts to contain her new pal, the tabby sneaks out and trails her all the way to the bookmobile on its maiden voyage. Before she knows it, her slinky stowaway becomes her cat co-pilot!

Minnie and Eddie’s first day visiting readers around the county seems to pass without trouble—until Eddie darts outside at the last stop and leads her to the body of a local man who’s reached his final chapter.

Initially, Minnie is ready to let the police handle this case, but Eddie seems to smell a rat. Together, they’ll work to find the killer—because a good librarian always knows when justice is overdue.

My Thoughts: I enjoy the cozy mystery genre because they typically are lighter, more humorous and whimsical than the grittier mysteries and when I’m not in the mood for the intensity that the harder mysteries oftentimes will bring, I’ve had excellent luck with the cozier variety.

This story is the first in a series featuring Eddie the feline who makes himself more than comfortable aboard a bookmobile and the librarian he adopts. I usually like stories that feature a dog or cat as one of the central characters and this one is no exception. Eddie has a lot of personality and communicates very effectively. The problem is he isn’t allowed on the bookmobile and I spent a lot of the story just waiting for him and Minnie to get caught by her supervisor, who has quite a large stick up his rear end.

For me, the story dragged a bit and seemed to veer away from the mystery and sleuthing, but everything works out in the end and Eddie’s presence on the bookmobile remains a secret, for now.

My Final Verdict: There are currently nine stories in this series and I’m looking forward to Eddie’s next adventure on the bookmobile.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)