Friday, July 31, 2020

REVIEW: Vendetta In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Vendetta in Death (In Death #49)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Publication Date: September 2019
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Mystery / Thriller
Buy the Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: The predator becomes the prey in the newest thriller in the #1 New York Times bestselling series featuring homicide detective Eve Dallas.

She calls herself Lady Justice. And once she has chosen a man as her target, she turns herself into a tall blonde or a curvaceous redhead, makes herself as alluring and seductive as possible to them. Once they are in her grasp, they are powerless.

The first victim is wealthy businessman Nigel McEnroy. His company’s human resources department has already paid out settlements to a couple of his young victims—but they don’t know that his crimes go far beyond workplace harassment. Lady Justice knows. And in one shocking night of brutality, she makes him pay a much steeper price.

Now Eve Dallas and her husband, Roarke, are combing through the evidence of McEnroy’s secret life. His compulsive need to record his misdeeds provides them with a wide range of suspects, but the true identity of Lady Justice remains elusive. It’s a challenging case, made even more difficult by McEnroy’s widow, who reacts to the investigation with fury, denial, and threats. Meanwhile, Lady Justice’s criminal crusade is escalating rapidly, and if Eve can’t stop this vigilante, there’s no telling how much blood may be spilled…

My Thoughts: Rewind, repeat…here I go again. It gets more difficult with each installment of this series to come up with something new to say. Perhaps if I ever get to the point where I did not like the story (yeah, right), that will be the day, so until then, let me get my fan-girl pom-poms out and Rah Rah Rah this book. It took me 15 days to listen to the audio and honestly that seems to be a long time for a book I so thoroughly enjoyed, but I really savor these and highly recommend the audio format with Susan Ericksen as the narrator. Susan Ericksen IS EVE DALLAS! J.D. Robb knocks it out of the ballpark with the intriguing story lines and the development of the characters over 49 installments and counting (WOW!), but Susan Ericksen breathes life and personality into these characters through her amazing narration. She isn’t just reading the book; she’s performing the book. I feel like I’m in the car alongside Eve and Peabody.

It’s not difficult to figure out who the killer is in this story and though Eve does her job so well, I found myself agreeing with the killer’s philosophy throughout the book, though vigilantism is never a good option. I found myself feeling some empathy for her. I know…empathy for the killer? Whoa…I don’t condone it, but I definitely understood it and even better, so does Eve. It’s truly understandable to Eve and had Eve taken a different path in life, she could have become as insane and over the top as Lady Justice. This installment delivers great action and dialogue and there never seems to be enough interaction with all of the characters, but I can suck it up and deal.

My Final Verdict: So, once again, I highly recommend this series to fans of stories featuring very strong and thoroughly developed characters, interesting and exciting plots, and dialogue that is heartbreaking, gut-wrenching and hilarious. But to get the full effect of Roarke’s Irish brogue, get the audio format and make sure the talented Susan Ericksen is the narrator. You won’t be disappointed.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)