Wednesday, March 03, 2021

REVIEW: Shadows in Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Shadows in Death (In Death #51)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Publication Date: September 2020
Genre: Mystery / Thriller / Urban Fantasy
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Lt. Eve Dallas is about to walk into the shadows of her husband's dangerous past.

As it often did since he had married a cop, murder interrupted more pleasant activities. Then again, Roarke supposed, the woman lying in a pool of her own blood a few steps inside the arch in Washington Square Park had a heftier complaint.

When a night out at the theatre is interrupted by the murder of a young woman in Washington Square Park, it seems like an ordinary case for Detective Eve Dallas and her team. But when Roarke spots a shadow from his past in the crowd, Eve realizes that this case is far from business as usual.

Eve has two complex cases on her hands - the shocking murder of this wealthy young mother and tracking down the shadow before he can strike again, this time much closer to home. Eve is well used to being the hunter, but how will she cope when the tables are turned? As Eve and the team follow leads to Roarke's hometown in Ireland, the race is on to stop the shadow making his next move . . .

My Thoughts: Another wonderful installment that brings Roarke’s shadowy past into the spotlight when a case Eve catches leads her to a killer who is determined to destroy Roarke. This story takes the reader back to Ireland to visit with Roarke’s family, which is always a treat, because it really throws Eve out of her element being around a large and loving family. I have enjoyed watching her adjust and accept these people as her family as well.

I thought the villain was intriguing as well. Plain old-fashioned jealousy motivates him. He grew up with Roarke and wanted the approval and acceptance of Roarke’s father probably more than Roarke did. His need to always outshine Roarke still drives him, but he does not factor in Eve and her tenacity.

There are some very intense scenes that Eve struggles with and her worry over the safety of those around her plays to her strengths, which I have always admired in this character. This series continues to be very character driven, with interpersonal relationships at the center of each story. I feel a connection with these characters, they are part of my family and that is crucial for a reader.

My Final Verdict: As with most of this series, there is not a lot I can say that I have not already said before. This series continues to surprise and entertain me. I anticipate the next installment with excitement, like a child coming downstairs on Christmas morning to see what Santa left.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)