Monday, November 07, 2022

REVIEW: Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Title: Sometimes I Lie
Author: Alice Feeney
Narrator: Stephanie Racine
Publisher: HQ
Publication Date: March 2017
Genre: Mystery / Suspense / Thriller
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:

1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.


Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?

My Thoughts: I honestly do not know where to begin with this story! This book left me breathless with anticipation, anxiety and shock. The lines between good and evil were hard to define and this story is full of characters that you are unsure of whether or not they can be trusted. I’m still not sure who the real villains and heroes are after the book ended. I am not a fan of cliffhanger endings usually and this one dropped a whopper of a cliffhanger on my head. I hope there will be another book explaining what in the world happened.

This story begins with the lead character, Amber Reynolds, realizing she’s in a coma and confessing that her husband doesn’t love her and sometimes she lies. This opening sets up the reader trying to decipher everything going on as the story shifts between now, then (the week leading up to the accident) and before (the period of over 20 years ago when Amber was a child). I had a lot of sympathy for Amber as she tries to process what is happening, being able to hear the voices around her but they don’t know she can hear them. The author does a very good job presenting several viable candidates as the perpetrator of Amber’s accident, including Amber herself.

I didn’t like any of these characters, to be completely honest. I found them all to be dishonest, shady and keeping secrets of their own. My opinions fluctuated as I got further in the book, but I was still shocked at some of the revelations.

Considering the extensive amount of detail the reader has to sift through during the course of this book, the pace of the story allowed me to process the specifics without feeling overwhelmed. The character development was fantastic. How often does a reader dislike every character in a book, but still enjoy the story? Is it even possible? With this book, I have learned that it is possible.

My Final Verdict: I highly recommend this story to readers who love suspenseful thrillers that give the reader the sense of being on a rollercoaster. Sudden twists, turns and drops that make your stomach jump into your throat. I enjoyed the audiobook format of this story quite a bit and recommend it over other formats. The narration by Stephanie Racine added so much more depth to the story than I would have gotten by reading a print format.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)