Wednesday, September 20, 2023

REVIEW: Zen and Sex by Dermot Davis

Title: Zen and Sex
Author: Dermot Davis
Publisher: Expression Unleashed Publishing
Publication Date: April 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Humor
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN

Description: Martin is a 24-year-old guy who falls in love with a 38-year-old woman. He has to grow so fast emotionally that he feels like he just got hit by a speeding bus. Not only is Frances fourteen years Martin's senior, but she's all about putting Zen into relationship, which involves every guy's worst nightmare: talking about your feelings, being conscious of your thoughts and above all, unabashed, honest communication at all times. Martin has no idea what he is getting himself into and the sharp learning curve that's required of him especially when he's thinking sex but she's thinking Zen.

WARNING: This book contains irony, tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and heavy doses of wit. Not suitable for readers expecting a traditional rom-com where the male character is a billionaire or some other fantasy variation of an alpha male. In fact, when it comes to love, the main character, Martin, has been described as a bumbling idiot... so please be warned.

My Thoughts: Zen and Sex by new to me author Dermot Davis has been languishing on my Kindle since 2013. Thanks to an alphabet challenge, I needed a “Z” title so after digging deep, I found this little gem. Better late, than never, but I wish I had read this one sooner as it was enjoyable.

I also love it when male authors write romance novels, whether it’s contemporary or romantic comedy or straight up chick-lit. I often find their perception and voice refreshing and entertaining and Dermot Davis is no exception.

Martin is a very typical young adult who seems to be drifting through life trying to find his place in the world professionally and personally. As a photographer, he is often struggling to find gigs that pay well enough to live and survive in California, but often give him the free time to explore his craft. He hasn’t been successful in the relationship department and when he gets a wedding invitation from his ex, he decides to attend, but needs a knock-out on his arm as his plus-one. We all know this routine of showing up and getting a little dig in on the ex to prove that you have moved on in your life just fine without them. The only problem is Martin is currently unattached and his prospects don’t look good.

After signing up for online dating and taking several bad first dates to his favorite restaurant, he notices a beautiful, but older, woman there every time he is and after receiving all the right signals, he and Frances begin a relationship with all the highs and lows, excitement and insecurities that it brings.

Frances is fourteen years older than Martin, married and divorced twice with a daughter who is closer to Martin’s age than she is. She is also vibrant, fun and exciting and it doesn’t take long for Martin to fall for her.

I really liked Martin and Frances individually, but the jury is still out whether I think they belong together as a couple. They really seem to be on different planes of existence mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Having said that, I honestly didn’t see him compatible with anyone else, so there may be hope for these two.

Several supporting characters round out the story, including Martin’s roommate, Mike and his girlfriend, Gloria. Frances’s ex-husband and her daughter also brought an interesting twist, as well.

My Final Verdict: Don’t expect any closure with this book because relationships are a work in progress and anything can happen. There is a companion book written in Frances’s point of view but I haven’t read that one so I can’t be sure there will be closure with that one either. I recommend this to readers who don’t mind open endings and enjoy their relationships sprinkled with humor along with the angst, Zen and sex.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)