Tuesday, October 10, 2023

REVIEW: If I'm Dead by Marcia Clark

Title: If I’m Dead (Rachel Knight #1.6)
Author: Marcia Clark
Narrator: January LaVoy
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Publication Date: April 2012
Genre: Mystery / Thriller
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: It started with a haunting image: a Ford Explorer, iridescent in the moonlight and alone on a desolate stretch of beach. Its owner, Melissa Gibbons, has gone missing. Her husband says she flew the coop. But Los Angeles Deputy DA Rachel Knight is convinced otherwise: Melissa Gibbons has been murdered.

So begins the confounding case that Rachel must present before a disbelieving jury. A dissatisfied heiress and her philandering husband-- what really happened? The husband has a fiendishly convincing case that Melissa faked her own death and fled. But with the support of her trusty sidekick, Detective Bailey Keller, Rachel pieces together a much more sinister truth.

In this short, standalone Rachel Knight thriller, readers follow our savvy and riotously entertaining heroine through the surprising world of LA crime.

My Thoughts: You know that old saying be careful what you wish for? Well, it certainly applies here as I have been hoping that I haven’t seen the last of Rachel Knight when I finished The Competition. Marcia Clark fulfilled my wish…in a sense. However, instead of another full-length book, she has given her readers several filler novels that are part of the series, but as I learned If I’m Dead is a standalone.

Taking place between the events of Guilt by Association and Guilt by Degrees, this story involves a case of a missing woman who is likely dead and the resulting murder trial with the woman’s husband as the defendant. Pretty standard Rachel Knight without any surprises or twists that grabbed me the way the other books did.

My Final Verdict: I recommend this book to fans of the Rachel Knight series, which, for me, really showcases Marcia Clark’s talent as an author. Rachel’s success in the courtroom clearly shows to me that Ms. Clark certainly knows her stuff and can hold her own. I’m still holding out hope for another full-length story, but until then there are two more filler stories.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)