Friday, October 04, 2024

REVIEW: These Deadly Games by Diana Urban

Title: These Deadly Games
Author: Diana Urban
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Publication Date: February 2022
Genre: Mystery / Thriller / Teen
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Let’s play a game.

You have 24 hours to win. If you break my rules, she dies. If you call the police, she dies. If you tell your parents or anyone else, she dies.

Are you ready?


When Crystal Donavan gets a message on a mysterious app with a video of her little sister gagged and bound, she agrees to play the kidnapper’s game. At first, they make her complete bizarre tasks: steal a test and stuff it in a locker, bake brownies, make a prank call.

But then Crystal realizes each task is meant to hurt—and kill—her friends, one by one. But if she refuses to play, the kidnapper will kill her sister. Is someone trying to take her team out of the running for a gaming tournament? Or have they uncovered a secret from their past, and wants them to pay for what they did…

As Crystal makes the impossible choices between her friends and her sister, she must uncover the truth and find a way to outplay the kidnapper… before it’s too late.

Author of All Your Twisted Secrets, Diana Urban’s explosive sophomore novel, These Deadly Games, will keep you riveted until the final twist is revealed.

My Thoughts: Wow! I needed several minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor after finishing this book. New to me author, Diana Urban, delivers a very twisty, heart pounding, pulse racing story about a teenage girl who is racing the clock to play a sick and twisted game or her little sister dies. Who is behind this nightmare? Why are they are doing this? How far is Crystal willing to go when the choices between hurting her friends and allowing her sister to die become more painful.

First of all, I really enjoyed the back story of Crystal and her friends all being avid online gamers. I appreciated the detail the author put into this story to illustrate how important the gaming community is to gamers and how focused they are on the game, sometimes to the detriment of other aspects of their lives. No judgment here at all, but the author did a brilliant job of showing how the gaming life can evolve from a fun hobby to an obsession.

Secondly, this story is full of twists and turns that I actually started to wonder if this was really happening or was it all in Crystal’s head. The kidnapper does an excellent job of making Crystal believe a reality other than her own at times and it also got me questioning it.

Thirdly, the games Crystal has to play start out fairly innocent and innocuous. Steal a test and put it in a locker. Make some brownies and go take a drive to a lake. Make a prank phone call. The detail the kidnapper puts into their plan was brilliantly executed and I could feel Crystal’s fear and frustration as every angle she thinks of to get to the bottom of this has already been thought of and blocked by the villain. They can see her. They can hear her. While reading this story, I was giving my cell phone dirty looks.

The plot was so mind-boggling, but so easy to follow. The story switches between the present and five years in the past. The characters were well developed and behaved appropriately and as expected, given the events around them. Everyone was a suspect in my mind at various points, including Crystal. When the reveal occurred, I was shocked, but it didn’t end there. When the entire truth came out, I was floored and this story ends with me wondering if there will be a sequel or some kind of follow-up involving Crystal. You know, like in Jaws, when you think it’s safe to go back into the water? If I were Crystal, I think I would give up all electronics, social media, gaming and live off the grid.

My Final Verdict: Overall, this story was fantastic! Interesting and intriguing storyline paired with characters who are easy to relate to are a booklover’s dream. I highly recommend this story to readers who enjoy mysteries and thrillers. The majority of the characters are teen and young adult and readers in this age group will enjoy it, but also older adults, like me, will be pulled in and have a difficult time looking away.

Thank you to the publisher, St. Martin’s Press, who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)