Tuesday, December 07, 2021

REVIEW: The Best Worst Christmas by Kate Forster

Title: The Best Worst Christmas
Author: Kate Forster
Publisher: Audible Originals
Publication Date: December 2021
Genre: Christmas Holiday / Contemporary Romance
Buy The Book: Amazon | Audible

Description: Lily is back from Australia for the first time in seven years to spend Christmas at her mum’s house in a small, gossipy English village. To her surprise, she returns to find that her mother is dating the man next door, who also happens to be the father of her ex-boyfriend Tom. Tom, who broke Lily’s heart all those years ago. Tom, the real reason Lily fled to the other side of the world and stayed there. Tom, who is also home for Christmas and right there, next door.

In what is shaping up to be the worst Christmas ever, somehow Lily and Tom have to try to get along and play happy families but living with the man who she is clearly not over is proving to be difficult, and tensions are high. Add in some drunken caroling, a reindeer bite, a potent Christmas pudding and some meddling parents and Lily’s trip home will turn her entire life upside down.

My Thoughts: A cute story sprinkled with charm and Christmas cheer about forgiveness of self and others and second chances. Lily is going home to England for Christmas for the first time since her broken heart drove her across the world to Australia. To her utter shock and confusion, her mother is dating and living with the man from next door, who also happens to be the father of Tom, her ex-boyfriend and the reason for her broken heart. Oh, and by the way, the ex-boyfriend is also home for Christmas and is next door and surprise! Lilly must bunk next door under the same roof as Tom. I figured this would have a happy conclusion or would turn into a bloodbath, as the tension was so sharp between these two, I was sure someone would be bleeding before too long.

This story had so many unexpected twists that I enjoyed as well as some heart-wrenching ones that reminded me that strong manly men can be vulnerable and that’s absolutely acceptable. This was a short story but is packed full of interesting characters and goings on that it felt longer. The characters were likable and easy to relate to. I was in high anticipation as to whether Lily would stay and sort out this mess with Tom or take off back to Australia.

My Final Verdict: Readers looking to add some festive cheer to their Christmas will enjoy this story, with or without the fruitcake.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)