Saturday, July 16, 2022

REVIEW: A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands

Title: A Quick Bite (Argeneau #1)
Author: Lynsay Sands
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: October 2005
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: That hot guy tied to Lissianna Argeneau's bed? He's not dessert - he's the main course!

Lissianna has been spending her centuries pining for Mr. Right, not just a quick snack, and this sexy guy she finds in her bed looks like he might be a candidate. But there's another, more pressing issue: her tendency to faint at the sight of blood...an especially annoying quirk for a vampire. Of course, it doesn't hurt that this man has a delicious-looking neck. What kind of cold-blooded vampire woman could resist a bite of that?

Dr. Gregory Hewitt recovers from the shock of waking up in a stranger's bedroom pretty quickly - once he sees a gorgeous woman about to treat him to a wild night of passion. But is it possible for the good doctor to find true love with a vampire vixen, or will he be just a good meal? That's a question Dr. Greg might be willing to sink his teeth into...if he can just get Lissianna to bite.

My Thoughts: When it comes to vampire fiction, especially romance, I’m such a fangirl who has been known to have several “squee” moments when finding a new release. Unfortunately, though this story was good, there were no moments of squee for me. I liked Lissianna and Greg quite a lot and thought that a vampire who faints at the sight of blood was intriguing, but it just didn’t carry the story into excellence. Instead, it tiptoed around campy and cheesy.

There were way too many characters being thrown into the mix for the reader to keep up with. I know it’s a tactic to advise the reader that there will be more (so many more) books to give each and every dang person in the book their own story. Normally, that wouldn’t bother me, but it felt like the story wasn’t as focused on Lissianna and Greg as much as it should. Don’t get me wrong. I liked the other characters, but there was too much a sense of watching the clowns at the circus instead of a psychologist trained in the curing of phobias trying to figure out how he was going to cure Lissianna.

I felt the romance and Greg’s decision whether to become one of the undead was rushed. Within a couple of days of meeting one another, they are talking about whether they are life mates and if Greg wants to become a vampire. Nope, I don’t buy it.

What did I like? I liked the story in general. A blood-phobic vampire and the psychologist who is brought in (kind of against his will) to treat and cure her. I liked that these are not your normal Hollywood run of the mill vampires. They aren’t evil. They don’t turn into bats. They are from the lost city of Atlantis and the vampirism is nothing more than a scientific result of nanos that requires the consumption of blood to stay alive…for a very long time. The story takes place in Toronto so there are no “I vant to bite your neck” Transylvanian accents running amok here either.

My Final Verdict: The story was good but I can’t enthusiastically recommend it or the series to fans of vampire romance as I’m not motivated to continue it.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)