Thursday, June 06, 2024

REVIEW: The Skeletons of Scarborough House by Kitty French

Title: The Skeletons of Scarborough House (The Chapelwick Mysteries #1)
Author: Kitty French
Narrator: Cat Gould
Publisher: Tantor Media, Inc.
Publication Date: February 2018
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Life’s tough for Melody Bittersweet.

She’s single, addicted to sugar and superheroes, her family are officially bonkers, and she sees dead people. Is it any wonder no-one’s swiping right on Tinder?

Waking up lonely on her twenty seventh birthday, Melody finally snaps. She can’t carry on basing all of her life decisions on the advice of her magic 8 ball; things have got to change.

Fast forward two months, and she’s now the proud proprietor of her very own ghostbusting agency - kind of like in the movies but without the dodgy white jumpsuits. She’s also flirting with her ex, Leo Dark, fraternizing with her enemy in alleyways, and she’s somehow ended up with a pug called Lestat.

Life just went from dull to dynamite and it’s showing no sign of slowing up anytime soon. Melody’s been hired to clear Scarborough House of its incumbent ghosts, there’s the small matter of a murder to solve, and then there’s the two very handsome, totally inappropriate men hoping to distract her from the job…

Welcome to Chapelwick, home of the brand new and hilarious Girls Ghostbusting Agency series, where things really do go bump in the night.

My Thoughts: This book was a lot of fun! I especially liked the character of the one-eared Pug named Lestat. He didn’t get a lot of page time, but I’m hopeful I will see more of him in the next book. Melody Bittersweet is a hot mess but I really loved her. If I had a magic 8 ball, I would probably make my life’s decisions with it as she does. Her family is like her, but I enjoyed meeting them too. The jury is still out on her ex, Leo Dark, but he stepped up, so there is hope he isn’t a complete tool. I’m also curious as to what happens between Melody and Fletcher, they have a lot of chemistry that needs to be explored.

Although Melody’s friends, Marina and Artie cannot see or hear ghosts, I loved how supportive they were of her and unquestioningly jumped into the situation with her.

This case involves the ghosts of the three Scarborough brothers, Douglas, Lloyd and Isaac, who are trapped in their home. Lloyd’s descendant wants Melody to clear the house of its unwanted occupants so he can sell. The ghosts are unable to leave until Douglas’ murder is solved. A murder that occurred over one hundred years ago and for which Isaac was blamed. I found the ghosts to be equally intriguing as well and developed a soft spot in my heart for Douglas and Isaac. Douglas because he was murdered so young and never got to have a life and Isaac because his brother’s murder deprived him of the woman he loved and the family he never got to know.

My Final Verdict: This story had many moments of hilarity for me but some moments of sadness as well, especially when Melody is saying goodbye to the brothers. As Melody’s last name implies, it was all very bittersweet. I recommend this story to fans of cozy mysteries who enjoy some humor with their whodunit.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)