Saturday, August 24, 2024

REVIEW: The Yellow Envelope: One Gift, Three Rules, and a Life-Changing Journey Around the World by Kim Dinan

Title: The Yellow Envelope: One Gift, Three Rules, and a Life-Changing Journey Around the World
Author: Kim Dinan
Narrator: Laurence Bouvard
Publisher: Dreamscape Media
Publication Date: April 2017
Genre: Non-Fiction / Memoir / Travel
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: What Would You Do with a Yellow Envelope?

After Kim and her husband decide to quit their jobs to travel around the world, they're given a yellow envelope containing a check and instructions to give the money away. The only three rules for the envelope: Don't overthink it; share your experiences; don't feel pressured to give it all away.

Through Ecuador, Peru, Nepal, and beyond, Kim and Brian face obstacles, including major challenges to their relationship. As she distributes the gift to people she encounters along the way she learns that money does not have a thing to do with the capacity to give, but that giving—of ourselves—is transformational.

My Thoughts: The Yellow Envelope by new to me author Kim Dinan isn’t just a story about one woman’s adventures traveling around the world and checking off bucket list items. It’s about experiencing all the world has to offer, meeting people from different cultures and lives who aren’t all that different from the rest of us. People that experience the same types of hardships and challenges, successes and joy. It’s also about seeking opportunities to give of oneself, not just monetarily, but also the giving of your time and energy, skills and talent, love and compassion.

When Kim and her husband Brian decide to sell their house and all their worldly possessions, quit their jobs and embark on a trip all over the world, they are presented with a yellow envelope from friends containing money. The task is to give the money away, to whomever and whenever they feel called to do so. Initially, I found it interesting that Kim struggles with who, how and when to do that. Some of her concerns were not wanting to insult someone, with cultural differences and language barriers possibly preventing Kim from understanding the needs of the people she meets. Ultimately, like Kim, I realized that it isn’t meant to be a planned exercise but more a spontaneous gift given from the heart.

I enjoyed tagging along with Kim and Brian on their adventures and experiencing the beauty and excitement vicariously through them. I also admired the courage they had to take this on and the hardships traveling in countries where you don’t speak the language can bring.

My Final Verdict: The concept of paying it forward is not a new one, but I enjoyed this story that highlights one couple’s journey of discovery of the world, of each other and of themselves. The joy that can be found in small ways by connecting with others is immeasurable. I recommend this story to readers who enjoy stories about travel, sacrifice, hardship and humanity.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)