Saturday, August 31, 2024

REVIEW: Her Perfect Lies by Lana Newton

Title: Her Perfect Lies
Author: Lana Newton
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: November 2019
Genre: Mystery / Suspense / Thriller

Description: The twisty psychological suspense that will keep you guessing…

Claire is beautiful.
Claire is famous.
Claire has a handsome husband and a house to die for.

But Claire doesn’t know any of that. Claire isn’t even sure who she is…

When Claire Wright wakes in a hospital, she sees a stranger staring back at her in the mirror. With no memories from before the devastating car accident that left her and her father with life-changing injuries, she must navigate the life of a stranger along with all the mistakes her former self left behind.

As Claire discovers the person she used to be she must also unravel the mystery that surrounds the accident. But the more Claire uncovers, the more she will be forced to face up to the dark secrets from her life before…

My Thoughts: A great premise that quickly fell flat for me, unfortunately. The story throws the reader right into the deep end of the pool with Claire waking up in the hospital with no memory of who she is, her friends, family, or her husband. The story quickly gives the reader the impression that the people around Claire are keeping secrets and she can’t trust anyone.

The plot goes in circles repetitively on the issue of the untrustworthiness of everyone, including Claire, which didn’t drive the story forward and quickly began to frustrate me. With the continuous back and forth, I was tempted many times to give up. There are so many details thrown at the reader about Claire, her accident, her phone calls with a mother she doesn’t remember, an aunt and brother nobody told her about and extreme tension between Claire and her husband.

When the details began to piece together, the big reveal was a big disappointment and the ending of the book left me without any real closure.

My Final Verdict: Overall, I was looking forward to this story and thought it had a great premise, but the story failed to deliver. The plot was choppy, very little character development and I struggled to feel any empathy or connection with any of the characters. Fans of the mystery, suspense and thriller genres will find much better choices than this one.

Thank you to the publisher, HQ Digital, who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)