Title: The Art of Being a Vampire
Author: Kate Karyus Quinn
Publisher: Rosen Publishing Group
Publication Date: August 2022
Genre: Fantasy / Teen – Young Adult
Buy the Book: Amazon
Description: With an addict mother and deadbeat dad, Shelby truly hopes that blood does not define her. She discovers a passion for photography, hoping to make something of herself through art. But when her mother dies of an overdose, Shelby finds herself in a dark place. Taken in by her aunt, she rebels in school and turns away from everyone, except a mysterious classmate named Brandt. Shelby doesn't realize that Brandt is a vampire--until it's too late.
Overwhelmed by new cravings for blood, Shelby must decide whether to abandon her values to satisfy her hunger--or fight for the life she's always wanted.
My Thoughts: The premise drew me in quickly, but the story’s short length ultimately left me feeling unfulfilled. I didn’t have enough time to get to know Shelby before the story ended, and too many questions remained unanswered. With more space for character development, this could have been a story I loved.
Brandt also left me unsure of how to interpret him: Is he a villain, or is he, like Shelby, a victim of circumstance?
I was especially intrigued by Shelby’s love of photography and the way she channels her vampirism into her art. Unfortunately, the story does not spend enough time exploring that compelling idea.
My Final Verdict: An intriguing, creatively grounded vampire story with compelling ideas, but its short length leaves the characters and themes underdeveloped. A promising read that would have benefited from greater depth but will still likely appeal to fans of vampires.
Thank you to the publisher, Rosen Publishing Group, who provided an advance reader copy of this book via NetGalley.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2026
(63)
-
▼
September
(9)
- REVIEW: If I Can Make It Here by Jamie Rose
- REVIEW: Falling for You by Portia Macintosh
- REVIEW: The Art of Being a Vampire by Kate Karyus ...
- REVIEW: Dear Emmie Blue by Lia Louis
- REVIEW: Thicker Than Water by JD Kirk
- REVIEW: Katie Comes Undone by Jared Wynn
- REVIEW: The Mini-Break by Maddie Please
- REVIEW: If I Never Met You by Mhairi McFarlane
- REVIEW: Little Girls Sleeping by Jennifer Chase
-
▼
September
(9)
About Me
- Sherri
- I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)


No comments:
Post a Comment