Wednesday, September 30, 2026

REVIEW: If I Can Make It Here by Jamie Rose

Title: If I Can Make It Here
Author: Jamie Rose
Narrator: Stefanie Kay
Publisher: Jamie Rose
Publication Date: April 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Buy the Book: Amazon | Audible

Description: Is it too late for coffee or too early for wine? That’s a question Madeline Burke has come to ask herself all too often. She needs a change, and a big one at that.

Coming into her late 20s, she finally finds the courage to pull herself out of a boring 9-to-5 life in Texas and launch the exciting new career she’s always dreamed about. Thanks to a little chutzpah and some quick thinking, she has landed an internship working in film publicity in New York City. It’s her favorite city in the world, concrete jungle where dreams are made…or crushed. The prospect is both exciting and intimidating for a woman with an ambitious work ethic and a pesky anxiety problem. What could possibly go wrong?

As Madeline goes behind the velvet ropes of movie premieres and celebrity press tours, she finds out what really happens after the cameras flash. Navigating her way through splashy scandals, inflated egos, romantic entanglements, and impossible office demands has her catching her breath behind one too many bathroom stall doors.

The hectic and fast-paced reality that is her new life has her questioning whether or not she has what it takes to stick it out. She decides it is up to her and her alone to make it in New York City.

As the saying goes, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere…right?

My Thoughts: If you enjoy stories about people stepping beyond their comfort zones to pursue their dreams—especially underdog triumphs filled with pop-culture references and plenty of emotion—this book is for you. Madeline Burke dreams of working in the movie industry, so when she is offered an internship at a New York City film production company, she cannot say no. It is her chance to get a foot in the door and open the way to future opportunities.

I liked Madeline immediately and admired her courage in stepping into the unknown. The internship offers an inside look at film publicity and, she hopes, a path to a permanent role as a publicist. First, she must complete the program while balancing the demands of a new job with her anxiety. I loved Maddie’s determination not only to succeed professionally, but also to build a new life in the Big Apple—where romance may be waiting just around the corner.

I enjoyed seeing the work that begins after filming wraps and the publicity campaign takes over. Maddie’s growing friendships and sense of solidarity add warmth as she learns the ropes, while her chemistry with Drake brings a compelling romantic spark. The story also explores potentially triggering topics, but the author weaves them naturally into the narrative, adding depth and emotional resonance.

My Final Verdict: If I Can Make It Here is an engaging, heartfelt story about ambition, resilience, and finding the courage to begin again. With a relatable heroine, an intriguing look at film publicity, supportive friendships, and a touch of romance, it offers an enjoyable read for anyone who loves hopeful stories about chasing big dreams despite anxiety and uncertainty.

Thank you to the author, Jamie Rose, for the invitation to read and review this book.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)