Sunday, December 11, 2022

REVIEW: Resting Scrooge Face by Meghan Quinn

Title: Resting Scrooge Face
Author: Meghan Quinn
Narrator: Carly Robins and Aaron Shedlock
Publisher: Amazon Original Stories
Publication Date: November 2022
Genre: Christmas Holiday / Contemporary Romance
Buy The Book: Amazon | Audible

Description: After a bad breakup, Nola wants nothing to do with Christmas, especially in her quaint hometown of Bright Harbor, Maine. Infuriatingly charming and cheery, Nola’s surroundings only worsen her sour mood.

To make matters worse, Caleb, the boy who broke her heart years ago, is all grown up and still living in town. While doing her best to avoid him, Nola bumps into the local mailman, who gives her a mysterious letter. And when she finds that the writer is a fellow Scrooge, she can’t help but feel her spirit lifting.

Nola writes back to her new pen pal—who, unbeknownst to Nola, is none other than Caleb. When Caleb gets a response hand delivered by the mailman, he’s intrigued by the mystery sender. A friendly correspondence develops—and quickly turns flirtatious.

Although Nola and Caleb claim they can’t stand each other, they can’t deny the simmering attraction that brought them together in the first place.

Can these nameless pen pals write their own love story—or will they be too caught up with the ghosts of their Christmases past to find a future together?

My Thoughts: A cute story to bring Christmas cheer and a smile to any Scrooge out there. When Nola and Caleb start anonymously corresponding with each other thanks to the well-meaning local mailman, they have no idea these letters will thaw the ice they have carefully built around their hearts. I loved that Caleb signs his letters Resting Scrooge Face and Nola signs hers Ho Ho No. I honestly expected that the mailman would be revealed to be Santa Claus, but no, just a nice man spreading some Christmas cheer and covert matchmaking.

Nola goes out of her way to try to avoid interacting with Caleb after he broke her heart years ago and Caleb regrets it ever since. Neither one of them is feeling friendly, cheery or Christmassy. When the letters begin arriving for both of them, they begin to open themselves up to the possibility of a second chance. I loved that when Caleb finds out his pen pal is none other than Nola, he doesn’t duck and run. The big reveal was also cute and learning that the mailman was conspiring with someone else was a pleasant surprise.

I really liked Nola and Caleb and despite the heartache they carry, they aren’t completely closed off to the opportunities presented. Their letters were entertaining, flirty and fun, I almost hated to see it end.

I prefer the audio edition and the alternating narration performances of Carly Robins and Aaron Shedlock provide the perfect mix of humor and emotion, giving me the sense that I was watching it happen firsthand.

My Final Verdict: I recommend this story to fans of short stories, Christmas themes and secret identities. This was my first time reading a Meghan Quinn book and I look forward to more from her.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)