Thursday, September 19, 2024

REVIEW: Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

Title: Lessons in Chemistry
Author: Bonnie Garmus
Narrator: Miranda Raison
Publisher: Random House Audio
Publication Date: April 2022
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Chemist Elizabeth Zott is not your average woman. In fact, Elizabeth Zott would be the first to point out that there is no such thing as an average woman. But it’s the early 1960s and her all-male team at Hastings Research Institute takes a very unscientific view of equality. Except for one: Calvin Evans; the lonely, brilliant, Nobel–prize nominated grudge-holder who falls in love with—of all things—her mind. True chemistry results.

But like science, life is unpredictable. Which is why a few years later Elizabeth Zott finds herself not only a single mother, but the reluctant star of America’s most beloved cooking show Supper at Six. Elizabeth’s unusual approach to cooking (“combine one tablespoon acetic acid with a pinch of sodium chloride”) proves revolutionary. But as her following grows, not everyone is happy. Because as it turns out, Elizabeth Zott isn’t just teaching women to cook. She’s daring them to change the status quo.

Laugh-out-loud funny, shrewdly observant, and studded with a dazzling cast of supporting characters, Lessons in Chemistry is as original and vibrant as its protagonist.

My Thoughts: One of my observations throughout this entire book is that Elizabeth Zott seems to go out of her way, almost expertly, to keep people at a distance. She doesn’t demonstrate any of the social niceties one expects, especially from women. Most of us are automatically social and go out of our way to be courteous and mannerly. Elizabeth isn’t rude or hostile, but she isn’t someone you could call nice or personable. It could put a reader off of this story because it may be difficult to relate to Elizabeth or have any empathy for her.

This highly thought-provoking story takes that theory and tosses it right out the window. Getting to know Elizabeth wasn’t necessarily easy but once I began to see glimpses of who she was behind the chemist lab coat, I found her to be very intriguing. A woman who is seeking a career in the 1950s over marriage and children is not heard of. What’s wrong with this woman? How dare she try to break the barrier of the patriarchal society of the chest beating men? Men who have no problem expecting her to make their coffee on demand and willing to resort to violence to keep a woman in line.

Thankfully, not all men share this view. Calvin Evans is the male version of Elizabeth Zott. Like Elizabeth, he is very committed to his work and dedicated to science. He recognizes in Elizabeth a kindred spirit and she recognizes the same in him. I thoroughly enjoyed the way they met and despite the initial conflict and their butting heads, their relationship was wonderful to see develop.

The supporting characters were a great addition to the story and added more depth and detail in and out of the lab. I especially loved the dog, Six-Thirty, and enjoyed his thoughts and assessments. Elizabeth’s daughter, Mad, is smart beyond her years, but that comes as no surprise, given who her mother is.

The story moves at a wonderful pace and the reader is not bogged down in details or trying to keep everyone straight. This story gave me all the feels. I laughed and cried. I was intrigued, curious, pleased and angry at different points in the story. It bothers me that our society pretends to have its act together, but not that long ago, women were treated like property. Her place was in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. The workplace was not accepting of women and a woman’s employment was typically terminated if she became pregnant. Unfortunately, gender and race equality are still a problem in society.

My Final Verdict: Lessons in Chemistry is a debut novel and Bonnie Garmus delivers an amazing story. I highly recommend this story be read by all women, naturally, but also men as a reminder that women also have meaningful contributions to our society and that should be celebrated.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)