Thursday, September 26, 2024

REVIEW: The Vow by Debbie Howells

Title: The Vow
Author: Debbie Howells
Publisher: Avon Books UK
Publication Date: October 2020
Genre: Mystery / Suspense / Thriller
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Everything was perfect. And then her fiancé disappeared…

Two weeks before her wedding, a stranger stops Amy in the street and warns her she’s in danger. Then that night, Matt, her fiancé, doesn’t come home. Desperate, Amy calls the police – but when Matt fails to emerge, she’s forced to call off her wedding day.

Then another man is reported missing, by a woman called Fiona – a man meeting Matt’s description, who was about to leave his fiancée for her. He was supposed to be moving in with her – but instead, he’s vanished.

Amy refuses to believe Fiona’s lover can be her Matt – but photos prove otherwise, and it soon becomes clear that Matt has been leading a double life. As the police dig deeper, two conflicting, yet equally plausible stories emerge from two women who allegedly have never met.

The wedding day never happened. But the funeral might.

My Thoughts: 3.75 stars rounded up to 4.

The Vow by new to me author Debbie Howells is a twisty domestic suspense novel that asks the question of how well we know the people closest to us. Our friends certainly, but more importantly, the people we are planning to marry.

Such is the case for Amy Reid. She is two weeks away from marrying Matt Rouche when he suddenly disappears without a trace. Frantic, Amy is beside herself with worry. Slowly, the reader is introduced to events that happened almost thirty years in the past that obviously are connected to Amy but is not made clear for over two-thirds of the book. In addition, the reader is also made aware that Matt is seeing another woman behind Amy’s back and is apparently set to leave Amy for this woman when he disappeared.

Throw in the fact that in addition to learning about this woman, Amy also learns that Matt made advances to her best friend and had a fling with the wedding planner. My head began to spin and I started to feel dizzy from all the back and forth.

Insights into the relationship between Amy and Matt also reveal a sinister side that depicts Matt as an abusive man who regularly gaslights Amy. Amy’s daughter, Jess, doesn’t trust Matt and thinks he was out to get Amy’s money, due to his repeated attempts to pressure Amy to sell her house. When evidence starts to appear that implicates Amy in Matt’s disappearance and numerous people convey to the police during questioning that Amy is unstable, it became hard for me to know who the real victims and suspects were.

I thought this story was engaging and interesting. I was anxious to find out what was going on. I didn’t want to believe Amy was behind Matt’s disappearance and the story begins right around his disappearance so it was difficult for me to get to know Matt. All I had was hearsay, theories and opinions from other people. Amy comes across as frantic, who wouldn’t be given the circumstances, and a bit whiny when trying to convince the police she is innocent and being set up.

I never liked the other woman, Fiona at all. I had no respect for this character and felt she had no integrity for messing around with a man she knows is already in a relationship. I was a little surprised when the connection between Amy and Fiona is made clear, but I was still confused about what it all had to do with Matt’s disappearance.

My favorite character was Amy’s daughter, Jess. For a university student who doesn’t have a lot of years of life experience, she displays a cool head, steady emotions and sharp logic in her attempts to get to the truth and help her mother. Amy is lucky to have such a wonderful daughter.

The plot moves a bit slow but begins to pick up as more happens. I began this book with the audio format and really tried to restrain my annoyance at Amy’s whining knowing that I most likely would come across the same way in her shoes. I finished the book with the Kindle format and recommend this format over the audiobook for that reason.

My Final Verdict: Overall, readers who enjoy stories that are twisty in the suspense and thriller genre should grab this book. If this genre isn’t your cup of tea, this author has published several books in the women’s fiction and romance genres as well. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author as she writes in all of my favorite genres.

Thank you to the publisher, Avon Books UK, who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)