Friday, April 16, 2010

Spying In High Heels by Gemma Halliday

Spying In High Heels by Gemma Halliday

My Rating: 5 *'s

Description: L.A. shoe designer, Maddie Springer, lives her life by three rules: Fashion. Fashion. Fashion. But when she stumbles upon the work of a brutal killer, her life takes an unexpected turn from Manolos to murder. And things only get worse when her boyfriend disappears—along with $20 million in embezzled funds—and her every move is suddenly under scrutiny by LAPD's sexiest cop. With the help of her post-menopausal bridezilla of a mother, a 300-pound psychic and one seriously oversexed best friend, Maddie finds herself stepping out of her stilettos and onto the trail of a murderer. But can she catch a killer before the killer catches up to her?

My Thoughts: Many other cozy mystery series have started out much better, grabbing my interest and holding my attention immediately. These series leave me eagerly anticipating the next book. I have several of the books in this series and though I don't usually buy ahead in a series I've never read, the titles drew me in. I was not expecting what I got with this story. Shoulda woulda coulda...rather than focus on what I thought the story was about, I will instead say that the heroine is a ditz. The typical blonde you always hear about who is several sandwiches short of a picnic. But somehow, you can't help but like her. I was quite annoyed that she obsessed about whether or not she was pregnant through most of the book, but didn't take a pregnancy test until near the end, after destroying a few of them. Maybe this aspect of her personality was supposed to be humorous, but I found it annoying.

Maddie also spends a large portion of the book eating. Everytime I turned around, she's stuffing her face on junk. Either at McDonalds or at Starbucks or some other fast food joint. At the rate she's going, there may need to be a segment of this series where she goes to Weight Watchers. How the hell she manages to earn a living designing shoes, much less solving any crimes is amazing considering the amount of time she spends hitting fast food drive through windows.

Maddie is a likeable character and Detective Ramirez is definitely a character most women would love to get to know. The supporting characters are interesting too. Now that I know that Maddie is not the kick-ass superhero heroine instead of the bubblehead she really is, I can read the next book in this series much more prepared.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)