Monday, October 04, 2010

REVIEW: When You Wish by Kristin Harmel

Title: When You Wish
Author: Kristin Harmel
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Publication Date: February, 2008
Hardcover: 288 pages
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 9/10

Description: Star Beck is super-duper megastar famous. She rocks–literally–every night in concert for thousands of cheering fans. But the pop star life–tour buses, fauxmances, size 0 minis–is getting a little old. Star can’t help wondering what it would be like to be a regular girl–without paparazzi trailing her every move, and without people being nice just because, well, she’s Star Beck. And when she discovers that her mom has been lying to her for years about something very important, Star decides to find out what the world beyond her stage is like after all.

In the blink of an emerald green eye, Star finds herself . . . buying a car. Eating cheeseburgers. Swapping her stilettos for flip-flops. Getting a job that doesn’t require dancing, winking, or mall appearances. And falling for the cutest, realest boy she’s ever met. But how will she know if he feels the same way? Because for once in her life, someone is going to have to like her for who she really is.

My Thoughts: Kristin Harmel is a new to me author though I have acquired several of her titles that are languishing on my TBR pile. Though I don’t normally find myself drawn to the young adult genre, this book appealed to me on several levels. First, the idea of a teen superstar who is likeable when all we ever hear about is the scandal and drama of the teen celebrities inundating the media nowadays is a refreshing and welcome change. Secondly, I liked that the story was clean. I don’t think the young adult genre should cross over into mainstream adult fiction and there have been a few books I have taken on recently that were marketed as young adult but were excessively graphic and explicit and not for a young adult reader. Last, but not least, When You Wish is a feel good story about a young girl on a journey to take back her life who finds love along the way.

I enjoyed going along for the ride when Star Beck decides to find out what the world is like outside of her reality. When she discovers that her mother has been lying to her for the past six years, she alters her appearance and takes off for Florida to find the father she hasn’t seen in thirteen years. When her funds run drastically low, she resorts to getting a job in a restaurant using a false name. She is drawn to a boy in the restaurant and ultimately gets to know him better and he helps her improve her waitressing skills.

I was quite surprised at the direction the story took when Star finally locates her father, but I felt it made Star a stronger and more realistic character. The author does an exceptional job of giving the reader a front-row seat to Star’s life. Several times throughout the book, I found myself wondering how the truth would be revealed and what the consequences would be for concealing her true identity. In the end, this book turned out to be a very fast and enjoyable read that made me smile.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)