Tuesday, November 09, 2010

REVIEW: Promises In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Promises In Death (In Death, #28)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: March, 2009
Hardcover: 342 pages
Genre: Mystery
Rating: 10/10

Description: Amarylis Coltraine may have recently transferred to the New York City police force from Atlanta, but she’s been a cop long enough to know how to defend herself against an assailant. When she’s taken down just steps away from her apartment, killed with her own weapon, for Eve the victim isn’t just “one of us.”

Dallas’s friend Chief Medical Examiner Morris and Coltraine had started a serious relationship, and from all accounts the two were headed for a happy future together. But someone has put an end to all that. After breaking the news to Morris, Eve starts questioning everyone from Coltraine’s squad, informants, and neighbors, while Eve’s husband, Roarke, digs into computer data on Coltraine’s life back in Atlanta. To their shock, they discover a connection between this case and their own painful, shadowy pasts.

The truth will need to be uncovered one layer at a time, starting with the box that arrives at Cop Central addressed to Eve containing Coltraine’s guns, badge, and a note from her killer: “You can have them back. Maybe someday soon, I’ll be sending yours to somebody else.”

But Eve Dallas doesn’t take too kindly to personal threats, and she is going to break this case, whatever it takes. And that’s a promise.

My Thoughts: The biggest problem with a series that has 28 books and growing is finding new adjectives to accurately describe how much I love this series without sounding boring and repetitive.

Once again, I am treated to a first class ticket into the lives of Eve Dallas and Roark while she investigates the murder of a fellow officer, who happens to be in an intimate relationship with Eve’s friend, Morris, the Chief Medical Examiner. It doesn’t take long for Dallas to uncover a connection in the dead cop’s past to her and Roark’s not so distant past. I love how Eve meticulously discovers each clue and peels the layers back to reveal more. Her instincts are amazing and I am impressed how diligent she is in her approach to finding the truth, no matter how painful.

Eve is determined to find the killer and bring them to justice. She makes a promise to herself, the victim and to Morris and Eve always keeps her promises.

As if the crime plot in the story weren’t enough, I also was highly entertained with the subplot of Louise’s bridal shower that Eve has been forcing from her mind for quite a while. Unfortunately, she can’t hide from it and not thinking about it doesn’t make it go away. While Roark and the guys take Charles to Vegas for his bachelor party, Eve is left at home with the women to do girly things. I thoroughly enjoyed watching her panicked state when she realizes what this will entail and found myself laughing out loud several times at Eve’s attempts to hide in the house and when that doesn’t work, to try to convince Roark to let her come with him to Vegas.

This series has it all and it packs one hell of a punch. Featuring mystery, suspense, intense action, romance and comedy, I wish all of my reading was this entertaining.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)