Tuesday, July 05, 2011

REVIEW: Eternal Kiss Of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost

Title: Eternal Kiss Of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2)
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July, 2010
Paperback: 361 pages
Genre: Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy
Rating: 10/10

Description: An immortal war has been brewing in the darkness . . .

And now one woman has stumbled into the shadows.

Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she's only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master vampire who thought he'd seen it all. Then Kira appears—this fearless, beautiful . . . human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life. Yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose either the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

My Thoughts: This book turned out to be quite the surprise. In a good way. Mencheres has been a central character through the entire Night Huntress series and yet I didn’t seem have much interest in him. He always seemed to be brooding and even a little dull and mopey. In Destined For An Early Grave, there was a slight glimpse and hint of Mencheres’ ability to demonstrate quick wit and snappy dialogue. I’m happy I didn’t write him off as too dull or boring because I would have missed this story and that would have been regrettable. Those of us who have been fans of Ms. Frost’s books from the beginning know Mencheres to be quite eccentric and a little hard to warm up to. In his words, he’s older than dirt and has seen a lot of pain and suffering and endured quite a bit of his own as well. If you enjoy tortured characters carrying around scads of emotional baggage, you can’t go wrong with Mencheres. He’s used to people using him, hurting him, betraying him and even trying to kill him. He’s not used to a complete stranger endangering her own life trying to help him.

Kira is carrying her own baggage. Bad relationships, sick sister, loser brother, the list goes on. What I really liked about her is she’s a fighter. When she’s down, she refuses to stay down. She stands up to an abusive husband and picks her life up and moves forward. She doesn’t needlessly throw herself into stupid situations but when she sees a man being attacked, she doesn’t think twice about trying to help even though it nearly costs her own life. Unfortunately, she has seen too much and finds herself being kept somewhat of a prisoner until Mencheres can erase her memory about what she has seen.

I really loved this story because up until this book, Mencheres has been a character that I haven’t been able to relate to or connect with. His presence never seemed to carry the story anywhere or provide any interesting moments though he has always been a central character. With this book, Mencheres is revealed as a force to be reckoned with. He starts out as the same brooding and moping character as before, but quickly shows a completely new side to his personality that I never knew existed. Now I see a compassionate character that is protective and caring. He is a strong character with powers beyond imagining but has immense wisdom. It’s like the old Mencheres that I was seeing in previous books had died and was reborn into a completely different character.

I’m looking forward to where this series will take me next. Now that Mencheres is no longer the boring wet blanket I thought him to previously be, I would love to see a spin off book for Vlad, Ian and Tate.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)