Tuesday, November 08, 2011

REVIEW: Insatiable by Meg Cabot

Title: Insatiable (Insatiable #1)
Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: June, 2010
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 1/10

Description: Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .

If she even has one.

My Thoughts: Several months back, I began to notice that the book market seems flooded with vampires across every genre. Historical romances, young adult, chick-lit, urban fantasy…you name it, there’s probably a vampire theme book in there. I then began to question the quality of these books in a market that is flooded with them. How do I, a reader and a fan of vampire themes, find a good vampire book that will excite me, entertain me and stay with me after I’ve finished reading it?

First of all, I have to say that I adore Meg Cabot. Her “Boy Next Door” and “All American Girl” series are some of my favorites. I held on with this book for a lot longer than I usually give books because I kept hoping it would draw me in as this author usually does. Sadly, it never did. I felt no connection with the characters and even the heroine's dog, Jack Bauer, annoyed me.

I don’t think a good vampire theme book can be written by just anyone, though that seems to be happening from what I see when I’m trolling the bookstore. I don’t think every author is cut out to write paranormal. John Grisham, if you are reading this, please do not jump on the vampire bandwagon. Will I stop reading Meg Cabot? Absolutely not. Have I given up on vampire themes? Nope. What have I learned? That I was right in questioning the quality of a specific themed book in a flooded market. With so many to choose from, it will be very difficult for the reader to know which ones are going to deliver. Choose wisely, my dear friends and if you happen to get one that isn’t working for you, don’t waste precious time continuing to read it. Cut your losses and find another one that will work.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)