Saturday, June 30, 2012

REVIEW: How Nancy Drew Saved My Life by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Title: How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
Author: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Publisher: Red Dress Ink
Publication Date: September, 2006
Genre: Chick-Lit
Rating: 5/10

Description: Broken, smashed and stomped in the mud. That's how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her emotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland, working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might be just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up--and chill out.

This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even read all fifty-six original Nancy Drew books in preparation. Unfortunately, she's neglected to find out anything about Iceland or to look into the background of her oddly compelling employer.

When Charlotte stumbles onto the trail of a mystery that only she can solve, she'll need every shred of Nancy's wisdom to keep her life--and her heart--safe

My Thoughts: One of the many joys of reading is the travel destinations. For the first time ever, I got to travel to Iceland with Charlotte Bell when she accepts a nanny position with the U.S. Ambassador. Initially, this story is very vague where Charlotte is concerned. Though Charlotte was a child celebrity, she had a less than happy childhood, growing up in her Aunt’s home. She never feeling accepted and is someone who is looking for love and acceptance, usually in the wrong place. Unfortunately, she wears her heart on her sleeve and falls for the wrong guy. When she returns home after a very painful breakup, she is left to ponder her life and the choices she makes. Why can’t her life run smoothly? She begins to think she needs to be more like Nancy Drew, who never has a hair out of place and always find the answers. Charlotte even purchases every book in the Nancy Drew series to try to figure out what she needs to do.

Charlotte accepts a nanny position with the U.S. Ambassador to Iceland and though she’s pretty confident she knows how Nancy Drew will respond in any given situation, Charlotte has no clue about the country she will be living in, the language or the people she will be interacting with. I found this part amusing.

Upon first meeting him, I was less than impressed with Charlotte’s employer, Edgar Rawlings. Maybe it’s the fact he’s referred to as “The Master” that put me off. I did enjoy the scene when they first meet only because they don’t know who each other is. My favorite character is Annette. She comes across much wiser than her years and isn’t, at all, a brat. My biggest annoyance with this book is that Charlotte has fallen for and slept with, not one, but TWO of her employers! Charlotte has some serious Daddy issues. Charlotte’s mother died in childbirth and her father pretty much abandoned her in a loveless home while he took off to Africa to work. Nobody’s life is perfect, but why does she have to sleep with her boss?

Once I could get past the whole integrity flaw of sleeping with her boss, I was able to enjoy the story, for the most part. Charlotte learning how to drive was amusing. In spite of her bad decisions with her love life, Charlotte is a survivor and shows a lot of determination and some fearless courage when she has to.

The story ends with a lot of questions for me. I wish there had been more closure as to what happens with Charlotte, Edgar and Annette. If you are looking for some light summer reading and sleeping with your employers do not bother you, you could give this one a try. If you are wondering what Nancy Drew would do, check out her books instead.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)