Tuesday, July 24, 2012

REVIEW: Chaos In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Chaos In Death (In Death #33.5)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: Jove
Publication Date: September, 2011
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Rating: 10/10

Description: Eve Dallas is the tough lieutenant hot on his trail, but this is unlike any case she’s ever been assigned - or any killer she’s ever pursued. A police sketch based on eye-witness testimony reveals the killer has green skin, swollen red eyes, goblin ears, and a dislocated jaw-structure that defies the human form. Is it a mask? Is it make-up? Or is the explanation more sinister?

Dallas faces off against multiple suspects - all of them students of medicine capable of precisely slicing the ears, noses, and eyes of the three victims. But who had the motive? More importantly, what kind of rogue science are these healers practicing?

My Thoughts:Chaos In Death is one of the short stories offered in The Unquiet anthology and with the other short stories in this series, I only read the Eve Dallas story. Chaos finds Eve and the gang on the trail of a sadistic killer who leaves notes at the scene of his crimes signed as Dr. Chaos. Witnesses who have seen him report seeing a monster, distorted green skinned face and fangs. He is also observed to be laughing and dancing after the killings. The victims are mutilated with the precision like skill of a surgeon or someone who has medical training. Eve has never faced someone quite like Dr. Chaos before and doesn’t know who or even what Dr. Chaos really is.

I finished Chaos in Death with a mixture of anticipation and sadness. Anticipation because I am always anticipating what the next book will bring. But now, I am experiencing some sadness because I am now only one book away from completing the series. This may not mean much to a lot of people but it does to me. I resisted starting this series for a very long time and it’s taken me over ten years to get to this point. What can I say…I really wanted to savor this series. I resisted this series for so long because I honestly thought I would not enjoy a series set in the future. Never had any trouble reading and loving books set in the past, but for some reason, a story set in the future held no appeal for me. On one hand, I never thought I would arrive at this moment so quickly, but on the other hand, Chaos in Death is #33.5 in the series and as I have already mentioned, it’s taken me over ten years to get to this point so it hasn’t been that fast, come to think of it. It feels like it has though. Oh, and just to clarify; saying I’m completing the series isn’t really accurate. The series is still ongoing. The 35th book in this series, Delusion in Death, will be available in September, 2012. It just feels like it’s over because now I will no longer have a handful of Eve Dallas titles at the ready to tide me over. I will become just like everyone else suffering in their anticipation waiting for the next new release.

As always, Eve is in top form on this case, which takes on a horrific Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde twist when the killer’s identity is revealed. It’s probably one of the reasons I enjoy this series so much. J.D. Robb is fearless and shows no hesitation in stretching the limits of her imagination to create the evil and depraved filth that ultimately she will throw into Eve’s path. Fortunately, Eve isn’t left on her own to solve the riddle with each case. She has surrounded herself with a crack-shot team of professionals who know their stuff and get the job done quickly and efficiently, making the streets of a not so distant future New York City safe…at least for the moment.

Thank you, J.D. Robb for a great ten years of reading. It’s been a great ride and I am eagerly anticipating more.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)