Thursday, September 13, 2012

REVIEW: Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin

Title: Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks #1)
Author: Jennifer Rardin
Publisher: Orbit
Publication Date: October, 2007
Genre: Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy
Rating: 7/10

Description: I'm Jaz Parks. My boss in Vayl, born in Romania in 1744. Died there, too, at the hand of his vampire wife, Liliana. But that's ancient history. For the moment Vayl works for the CIA doing what he does best --- assassinating people. And I help. You could say I'm an assistant assassin. But then I'd have to kick your ass.

Vayl and I have to take out a Miami plastic surgeon with ties to terrorism. But the assignment gets complicated when it turns out he's in cahoots with a supernatural nasty powerful enough to bring America to her knees.

My Thoughts: I haven't had this book as long as some of the others languishing on my TBR pile. I've been very hesitant to start a new series as it seems to be getting more difficult finding Nook copies of some series at the library and I've just gotten so stingy with my book dollars, that I am very reluctant to just purchase the book (again) without thought or care like I used to.

Though I consider myself a seasoned veteran of vampire fiction (having sunk my fangs into several of them over the years), Jennifer Rardin is a new to me author. This series is a little different than I've encountered before as well. For one thing, there wasn't a lot of focus on romance. Jaz works for Vayl, who is a CIA assassin and a vampire. Her job is assistant / bodyguard, though does a 200+ year old vampire really need a bodyguard? When you find out what the bad guys have in store for all of humanity and what Jaz and Vayl find themselves going up against, you may want a bodyguard for yourself.

I wasn't completely ecstatic with the book after I finished and can't say it's the best vampire fiction series I have read, hands down. I can say this book isn't bad if you like feisty characters who can hold their own with all sorts of evil and creepy characters. I will say this book holds a lot of potential that has left me just curious enough to find out what Jaz and Vayl get into next and see if their relationship is just business.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)