Tuesday, February 19, 2013

REVIEW: Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

Title: Haunted (Women Of The Otherworld, #5)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Bantam
Publication Date: May, 2005
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: 9/10

Description: Former supernatural superpower Eve Levine has broken all the rules. But she's never broken a promise—not even during the three year's she's spent in the afterworld. So, when the Fates call in a debt she gave her word she'd pay, she has no choice but to comply.

For centuries one of the ghost world's wickedest creatures has been loosed on humanity, thwarting every attempt to retrieve her. Now it has fall to Eve to capture this demi-demon known as the Nix, who inhabits the bodies of would-be killers, compelling them to complete their deadly acts. It's a mission that becomes all too personal when the Nix targets those Eve loves most — including Savannah, the daughter she left on earth. But can a renegade witch succeed where a host of angels have failed?

My Thoughts: After I first met Eve, I couldn't find any likable or redeeming qualities about this character. I wasn't upset when Eve died either. The biggest thing I loved about Haunted is that there is a lot more to Eve than we had seen before. Eve really surprised me. As a ghost, she demonstrates all of the same annoying characteristics she had when she was alive. Unlike in my last meeting with Eve, this time was vastly different.

It was a little sad to me that it took her dying to bring out her human side. Eve wants to watch over Savannah and is prepared to spend all of eternity doing just that and spending time with Savannah's father, Kristof, when Eve is detoured from her goal by the Fates to track down a demon who uses women to commit murder.

With the assistance of an angel, Trsiel, Eve accepts the mission which takes Eve on a whirlwind journey. Along the way, Eve crosses paths with notorious characters of the past, such as Lizzie Borden. Eve also has to use her wits when she goes into a hell dimension to track down clues.

This story moves at a very fast pace with a lot of intensity. There were so many scenes that kept me on the edge of my seat with the suspense of waiting to see what was coming next. Mixed into this, is the relationship between Eve and Kristof. I found it hopeful that Eve's afterlife wasn't suffering and torment, though I was expecting her to receive some type of punishment for her deeds while alive. The tenacity with which Eve works this assignment gave me hope that even the most darkest of witches has a heart and is worthy of redemption.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)