Tuesday, May 21, 2013

REVIEW: It's A Girl Thing by Jan King

Title: It’s A Girl Thing
Author: Jan King
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Publication Date: September, 2000
Genre: Non-Fiction / Humor

Description: Past a certain age (let's say puberty) women start exhibiting certain traits that, well, boggle the male mind. Since the traits are genetically ingrained, we women don't think about them --- so we're not bothered by them at all. In It's A Girl Thing, Jan King has meticulously chronicled many of the "girl things" that ultimately define women's behavior.

Read Jan's hilarious take on

Chick Flicks - on average, it takes 7.6 boxes of Kleenex for the heroine to die

Lipstick and Nail Polish - on any given day, a woman has enough nail enamel to paint Graceland

The Crying Game - at her child's award ceremony you see more mascara running down Mom's cheeks than Tammy Faye Bakker's at a revival meeting

Women's Underwear - because of their corsets, women remained pretty much unconscious for the first five centuries of recorded history

The Gynecologist - cold rooms, hankie-sized "robes," cold instruments...

And much, much more!

Wasn't it Jan King who first said "The thong? For Pete's sake, I've spent my whole life pulling my underwear out of there!"

My Thoughts: It’s A Girl Thing by new to me author Jan King brings a very funny insight to what is going on inside the female mind and why we behave the way we do. I really wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading this. I only picked it up because my Kindle had died and I needed something to read while it was charging. It’s A Girl Thing turned out to be a good choice. I saw myself in several of these chapters and believe that every woman can relate to at least one, if not several, of these chapters as well. I wish I had read it sooner and it should be mandatory reading for every girl and woman.

My Final Verdict: Everything from lipstick, nail polish and our underwear to shopping and dieting, Jan King shines a hilarious spotlight on topics that have confused men for centuries and reminds me that I’m not alone, it’s a girl thing. This is a good book that is funny and entertaining. I recommend this to anyone who is curious why girls do the things girls do.




No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)