Sunday, June 30, 2013

REVIEW: Return To Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux

Title: Return To Summerhouse (The Summerhouse #2)
Author: Jude Deveraux
Publisher: Thorndike Press
Publication Date: June, 2008
Genre: Contemporary Romance / Time Travel Romance

Description: Magic most definitely resides in the Maine summerhouse where the mysterious Madame Zoya has granted the innermost wishes of its visitors.

Now, three women have come to this special place with one thing in common: a painful past they would each like to rewrite. Amy, who hides a heartbreaking loss behind her seemingly perfect marriage and family... Faith, a widow in her thirties whose deepest grief is for a man from years ago... and Zoe, an artist shunned by her hometown for reasons she doesn't know, after a traumatic night erased her memory. With their mystical powers, Madame Zoya and her sister Primrose are about to transport the trio to eighteenth-century England to alter Amy's ancestry. But although surprises await each of them, will stepping back in time bring the women the happy endings they seek?

My Thoughts: If you already read the first book in this series, the second one is a little different in that the characters do not already know each other when they all arrive. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this difference, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Amy, Faith and Zoe are complete strangers when they each arrive and in the beginning of the book, I found myself thinking these women would have a hard time bonding or relating to one another.

Each woman carries a large amount of grief, pain and bitterness in their lives and it takes several chapters before I fully understood how much these women needed one another. When I read a book, I usually associate with just one character. As I learned more about each character and their back-story, I discovered I cared about all three of them in very different ways and loved how connected they were without any of them realizing how much.

The only flaw I had with this book is the ending seemed a little rushed after all of the detail spent in the past. I would have liked to witness Faith and Zoe’s experiences first-hand instead of after the fact. Even still, the story was beautifully written and the characters are people you really are rooting for.

My Final Verdict: If you enjoyed the first book, I highly recommend this one. For me, Return To Summerhouse was an enjoyable return to the magic that I experienced when I read the first book. This was a very good story with a wonderful message of hope and love for three women who appear to be damaged beyond repair.

If you haven’t read the first book, I think you could still read and enjoy this one without reading the first story.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)