Saturday, September 14, 2013

REVIEW: Calculated In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Calculated In Death (In Death #36)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: February, 2013
Genre: Mystery / Thriller

Description: On Manhattan's Upper East Side a woman lies dead at the bottom of the stairs, stripped of all her valuables. Most cops might call it a mugging gone wrong, but Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better. A well-off accountant and a beloved wife and mother, Marta Dickenson doesn't seem the type to be on anyone's hit list. But when Eve and her partner, Peabody, find blood inside the building, the lieutenant knows Marta's murder was the work of a killer who's trained, but not professional or smart enough to remove all the evidence. But when someone steals the files out of Marta's office, Eve must immerse herself in her billionaire husband Roarke's world of big business to figure out who's cruel and callous enough to hire a hit on an innocent woman. And as the killer's violent streak begins to escalate, Eve knows she has to draw him out, even if it means using herself as bait. . . .

My Thoughts: I should have known something would happen that would interfere with the movie premiere. Silly me for thinking that Eve and the gang could have a night out on the town enjoying the excitement and hype of the premiere dressed in their glitterati with the flashbulbs blasting away. Wait a minute, what was I thinking? It’s Eve so OF COURSE, it would happen and I really think Eve prefers it that way. With Calculated In Death, Eve and her team are investigating the death of an accountant who also happens to be the sister-in-law of a judge. At first glance, it appears the murder is due to a random mugging, but Eve quickly picks up on clues left at the crime scene that lead her to believe the murder was actually a professional hit. Once again, Eve quickly pieces together clues that lead her and Peabody to the killer.

Not enough Roarke or Summerset in this story, unfortunately, but one of my favorite parts of the book involves a scene with Eve and Summerset after she comes home pretty banged up after a foot pursuit with the killer gets ugly. Summerset actually convinces Eve to take a blocker and she actually listens to him! I was so shocked that there wasn’t more of a fight. Is Eve getting soft where Summerset is concerned? Is she starting to care about him? Nah, probably not, but as much as I enjoy their snarky poke and jab sessions, I love love love the scenes where they actually have a civil conversation and where there’s a hint of some compassion, empathy or other human emotion. Just a hint, however. Anything more wouldn’t be believable. Then again, anything is possible. They certainly have come a long way since the early books, where their animosity was mutual and vibrated off the pages with a such a resounding energy, that it was impossible to misinterpret the depth of their dislike of one another as anything else.

I also enjoyed that Eve didn’t seem to be as haunted by the demons of her past as she usually is. I won’t go so far as to say she has finally turned a corner, but I think she has a much better handle on it than she realizes.

My Final Verdict: Overall, a very good and entertaining installment that delivers the usual blend of mystery, thriller, romance and humor. I am looking forward to the next offering as Roarke’s family from Ireland is coming for a visit and I so enjoy seeing Eve try to navigate her way around what having a family means.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)