Sunday, January 26, 2014

REVIEW: The Book Of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

Title: The Book Of Tomorrow
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: December, 2009
Genre: General Fiction

Description: This is a story about how tomorrow can change what happens today...

Tamara Goodwin has everything she ever wanted and she never has to think about tomorrow. But suddenly her world is turned upside down and she has to leave her glamorous city life for a new one in the country. However, Tamara is soon lonely and longing to return home.

Then a travelling library arrives in the village, bringing with it a mysterious leather-bound book locked with a gold clasp and padlock. What Tamara discovers within its pages takes her breath away and everything starts to change in the most unexpected of ways...

My Thoughts: The Book of Tomorrow is another story by a very talented author who continues to amaze me with the scope of her talent.

The Book of Tomorrow revolves around Tamara, a young girl coping with the sudden death of her father and loss of her home. She and her mother are forced to move away from all of her friends to live with her aunt and uncle.

Tamara soon meets a boy who drives a travelling library van and he gives her a leather bound book. At first, Tamara is disappointed to discover the pages inside the book are empty, but the magic begins the next day when she opens the book and discovers her own handwriting on the pages detailing the events of tomorrow before it happens!

I wasn't sure I was going to like Tamara at first. She comes across as a very spoiled brat carrying a lot of bad manners and hostility. The more I got to know Tamara, I realized how much pain she is in over her father's death and the circumstances surrounding it, the guilt she feels and her fear at her mother's withdrawal into a near catatonic state.

This story has a lot of very interesting secondary characters that round out the plot and made it much more intriguing. I quickly got pulled into anticipating what events would be described in the pages for Tamara to discover and try to either alter or allow to occur.

I asked myself several times while reading this book if I would want to know in advance what tomorrow brings and I couldn't come up with a definite answer. The idea is very appealing and frightening at the same time. Knowing what is coming forces Tamara to grow up a little bit faster, while making some hard decisions.


My Final Verdict: Fans of Cecelia Ahern's work will enjoy this story immensely. The Book of Tomorrow wasn't my favorite out of the many by her that I have read, but I highly recommend it for its unique story and interesting characters.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)