Wednesday, February 19, 2014

REVIEW: Sugar Spun Sister by Anna Garner

Title: Sugar Spun Sister (Sweet Dreams #1)
Author: Anna Garner
Publication Date: December, 2013
Genre: Chick-Lit

Description: Life isn’t exactly sweet for Cricket Whittier. Her boss hates her, her work is soul-destroying, and the sexy guy she’s hooking up with doesn’t want to date her. But this girl is far from hopeless. When Cricket’s in the kitchen with her ice cream maker and a few choice ingredients, her troubles slip away as she becomes a delectable dessert-designing powerhouse. She loves it so much, she dreams of opening her own ice cream shop one day.

As it turns out, “one day” just might be closer than she thinks. Propelled by the help and encouragement of her best friends, Lindsay and Nora, Cricket starts making plans to set up shop. Which is easier said than done what with the internal squabbling, the sky-high costs, her parents forecasting failure and her increasingly complicated love life. Despite all these hurdles, will Cricket be able to make her sweet dreams come true?

My Thoughts: The biggest element I look for when I pick up a Chick-Lit title is fun. Sugar Spun Sister by Anna Garner dishes up a winner that will have fans lining up for seconds and thirds.

I adored the main character, Cricket Whittier. She is someone I could easily relate to and someone who I would be friends with. I really enjoyed the scenes with her and her two best friends, Nora and Lindsay the most. I got a really good sense of how close this trio is and how far they will go to be there for one another and help someone achieve their dreams.

Cricket works for a horrible man who demeans her work and person on a daily basis. She has a hook-up buddy that fills the immediate physical need for intimacy, but doesn’t have any substance for a long term future. After receiving an ice cream maker from her brother, she begins experimenting with various ingredients and flavors and tests them out on her friends and family. She would love nothing more than to leave the job and boss from Hell and open her own ice cream shop.

When her dream becomes a reality within her grasp, Cricket has to make a lot of decisions that will affect not only her life, but the lives of the people around her. It surprised me that not everyone in Cricket’s life was supportive of her dream but I thoroughly enjoyed the process she and her friends go through to get the shop up and running.

This book had so many laugh out loud moments for me that I thoroughly enjoyed. Before reading this book, I had no clue what dragon fruit is, but I will never be able to look at it again without thinking of this book and Cricket’s kitchen counter and laughing myself silly.

With the exception of Cricket’s despicable boss and Nora’s husband (maybe he is redeemable), I loved all of the characters, some more than others, but would definitely love to see more of Cricket’s brother, Sage. Their interactions were priceless.

My Final Verdict: If you are looking for a fun book filled with witty dialogue and laugh out loud scenes that will give you a feel good warm fuzzy at the end, then look no further than this book. Eating your favorite flavor of ice cream while reading is purely optional.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)