Sunday, March 16, 2014

REVIEW: Ever After by Kim Harrison

Title: Ever After (The Hollows #11)
Author: Kim Harrison
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Publication Date: January, 2013
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Description: The ever after, the demonic realm that parallels the human world, is shrinking. If it disappears completely, so does all magic. It's up to witch-turned-daywalking-demon Rachel Morgan to avert catastrophe and keep life from changing... for the worse.

While saving the world is important, it isn't Rachel's only motivation. There's also the small fact that she caused the ley line to rip in the first place, setting off a chain reaction of unfortunate events. That little mistake has made her life forfeit unless she can fix it. It's also made her more than a few enemies, including the most powerful demon in the ever after—a terrifying entity who eats souls and now has an insatiable appetite for her. He's already kidnapped her friend and goddaughter to lure her out, and if Rachel doesn't give herself up soon, they'll die.

But Rachel has more than a few impressive and frightening skills of her own, and she isn't going to hand over her soul and her life without one hell of a fight. She's also got a surprise: elven tycoon Trent Kalamack. With this unlikely ally beside her—a prospect both thrilling and unnerving—she's going to return to the ever after, kick some demon butt, rescue her loved ones... and prevent an apocalypse before it's too late. Or, at least that's the plan...

My Thoughts: I had a hard time reading this book because knowing this series is nearing the end made the reading so much more bittersweet. This series has been so much fun to read and I will miss Rachel and her friends when it is over. With Ever After, the reader is given a lot to wade through. Rachel has been blamed for causing the ever after to begin shrinking. In case you are just now tuning in, the ever after is the demonic realm where Al lives. Ku’Sox is the one to blame but he has manipulated the other demons into believing Rachel has done it and if she doesn’t fix it, they will kill her and “allow” Ku’Sox to fix it. Ku’Sox is a tool and I despise him, but he is an excellent villain and this series needed one. Unfortunately, he kidnaps Ceri and Lucy to draw Rachel out to kill her. Trent and Al started out villainous, but they aren’t so much anymore. Nick started out decent but has turned into a tool as well, but he’s weak in mind and spirit and I don’t foresee him as much as a threat to Rachel. Without giving anything away, I will say that Nick deserves every bad and painful thing coming to him when the karma bus runs him over, backs up and runs him over again.

Rachel and Trent work very closely in this installment and if I had been told in the first book that there would be major chemistry of a romantic nature between them, I would have projectile vomited all over the place. I don’t know what happened here. I didn’t think I could ever see Trent in any other light than vile and manipulative. He has been the source of most of Rachel’s problems throughout the whole series. But I am weak and now I am intrigued to see what happens with them. Do I want to see Rachel with Trent? I don’t know. Do I want to see Rachel with Al? See the previous answer. Trying to figure out Al and Trent is nearly impossible. I have serious trust issues with both of them, but like a moth to a flame, I am compelled to come closer even though there is a huge chance I will get burned.

Jenks is still my favorite and I never tire of him and all of his kids. If anyone deserves a happy ending in this series more than anyone, it’s him. Ivy is a hot mess and with Felix as an enemy, Rachel and Jenks should get the heck out of Dodge and distance themselves as far from Ivy as possible. We get to see more interactions with the gargoyles in this installment and I really enjoyed that. Bis is an interesting character and finding out more about him and meeting his relatives was enjoyable.

My Final Verdict: Fans of this series will enjoy this story and if you are new to the series, it is vital that the series be read in order. The characters are easy to relate to and I found myself caring about what happens to them, but you will miss a lot of character development if you don’t read them in order. This story packs a punch that left me reeling. I laughed and cried and got angry while reading this book. I am eagerly looking forward to the next book to see what Rachel, Trent, Al and Jenks get into next. Knowing them, I am sure it will be intense and I am looking forward to going along for the ride.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)