Monday, April 21, 2014

REVIEW: Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Title: Into The Darkest Corner
Author: Elizabeth Haynes
Publisher: Harper
Publication Date: June, 2012
Genre: Thriller

Description: Catherine has been enjoying the single life for long enough to know a good catch when she sees one. Gorgeous, charismatic, spontaneous - Lee seems almost too perfect to be true. And her friends clearly agree, as each in turn falls under his spell. But there is a darker side to Lee. His erratic, controlling and sometimes frightening behavior means that Catherine is increasingly isolated. Driven into the darkest corner of her world, and trusting no one, she plans a meticulous escape. Four years later, struggling to overcome her demons, Catherine dares to believe she might be safe from harm. Until one phone call changes everything. This is an edgy and powerful first novel, utterly convincing in its portrayal of obsession, and a tour de force of suspense.

My Thoughts: For me, a good thriller novel combines the elements of suspense and intrigue to a level of intensity that the reader can empathize fully with the characters and what they are experiencing. New to me author Elizabeth Haynes weaves a tale of fear and obsession that leaves deep physical, mental and emotional scars in the life of Catherine Bailey.

The story alternates between two time periods in Catherine’s life. The first is centered on her relationship with Lee and the escalating abuse at his hands. The second is four years later with Catherine living and coping with a severe obsessive compulsive disorder and living in fear of Lee’s release from prison.

Initially, I found the switch in time periods a little confusing to understand, but as I read more, I began to understand the parallels in Cathy’s life. I enjoyed seeing her go from a victim living in constant fear trying to plan her escape to a woman who takes charge of her circumstances to regain her life and power.

My Final Verdict: Fair warning to the reader…some of the events were a little disturbing and difficult to get through, but the outcome made the anxiety easier to bear. I highly recommend this story to readers who enjoy high suspense and intensity featuring characters you can relate to and root for to find a happy ending.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)