Monday, May 12, 2014

REVIEW: Thankless In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Thankless In Death (In Death, #37)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: Putnam Adult
Publication Date: September, 2013
Genre: Thriller / Mystery

Description: In the latest suspense thriller in the #1 New York Times bestselling series, the year 2060 is drawing to a close in New York City and loved ones are coming together for Thanksgiving. But sometimes the deepest hatreds seethe within the closest relationships, and blood flows faster than water…

Lieutenant Eve Dallas has plenty to be grateful for this season. Hosting Roarke’s big Irish family for the holiday may be challenging, but it’s a joyful improvement on her own dark childhood.

Other couples aren’t as lucky as Eve and Roarke. The Reinholds, for example, are lying in their home stabbed and bludgeoned almost beyond recognition. Those who knew them are stunned—and heartbroken by the evidence that they were murdered by their own son. Twenty-six-year-old Jerry hadn’t made a great impression on the bosses who fired him or the girlfriend who dumped him—but they didn’t think he was capable of this.

Turns out Jerry is not only capable of brutality but taking a liking to it. With the money he’s stolen from his parents and a long list of grievances, he intends to finally make his mark on the world. Eve and her team already know the who, how, and why of this murder. What they need to pinpoint is where Jerry’s going to strike next.

My Thoughts: In comparison to the rest of the In Death series, this one comes off as very mild. Between the Thanksgiving preparations for Roark’s family’s arrival from Ireland and Lt. Dallas’s investigation into a murder spree being perpetrated by someone Eve identifies early on, everything is fairly predictable. But I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as villains go, Jerry Reinhold is pretty lame. He leaves his crime scenes with so much obvious evidence that he could have just left a note saying he did it. What made the story interesting was how long he managed to stay just a few steps ahead of Lt. Dallas and the Scooby gang.

The best part of this story that I really enjoyed are the scenes involving Roark’s family, especially the football match in the front yard. The commendation ceremony was a wonderful addition too. As always, the interactions between Dallas and Peabody are a hoot, especially when it involves girly things.

Some things I missed not having in this story were major fights with Summerset, no major interactions with Mavis and Bella. No Trina either, much to my disappointment. Peabody and McNab were a lot tamer too, unfortunately.

My Final Verdict: Although many of the elements from this series that I have come to love and expect were not in this story and it is much tamer than previous installments, I still really enjoyed it. I love seeing Eve and Roark evolve both as a married couple and as professional partners working cases together. Their chemistry and banter get better with each book. I would really like to see some character development with Summerset; perhaps a romance for him, even. That could be a lot of fun. I highly recommend this book and the entire series to fans of romantic suspense and police procedural thrillers. The plots and characters draw the reader into their world for a visit and make it very hard for the reader to ever want to leave.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)