Friday, July 25, 2014

REVIEW: Sail by James Patterson

Title: Sail
Author: James Patterson
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: June, 2008
Genre: Thriller / Mystery

Description: A perfect family vacation turns into a life-or-death nightmare.

SET SAIL

Only an hour out of port, the Dunne family's summer getaway to paradise is already turning into the trip from hell. Carrie, the eldest, has thrown herself off the side of the boat in a bid for attention. Sixteen-year-old Mark is getting high below decks. And Ernie, their ten-year-old brother, is nearly catatonic. It's shaping up to be the worst vacation ever.

SOAK UP THE SUN

Katherine Dunne had hoped this trip would bring back the togetherness they'd lost when her husband died four years earlier. Maybe if her new husband, a high-powered Manhattan attorney, had been able to postpone his trial and join them it would all have been okay....

PREPARE TO DIE

Suddenly, a disaster hits–and it's perfect. Faced with real danger, the Dunnes rediscover the meaning of family and pull together in a way they haven't in a long time. But this catastrophe is just a tiny taste of the danger that lurks ahead: someone wants to make sure that the Dunne family never makes it out of paradise alive.

With whiplash plot twists, speedboat pacing, and an eye for the evil that can lie behind even the most gorgeous setting, James Patterson delivers Sail–the wettest, most explosive ocean adventure since Jaws.

My Thoughts: What started out as a very predictable and almost boring story did a 180 and knocked me off my feet! Sail introduces us to the family Dunne…heart surgeon mom Katherine, her brother in law Jake and Katherine’s children Mark, Carrie and Ernie. They are taking the family yacht on a vacation for some quality time and family bonding since the death of Stuart, Katherine’s first husband. At first glance, it appears a family vacation is the last thing this group of people need and instead should opt for some intensive therapy. Mark is using drugs, Carrie jumps overboard in an apparent suicide attempt and the youngest seems to be overlooked and forgotten by everyone else.

Mother Nature at her worst, explosions and murder are just a small taste of what the Dunne family has in store for them on this vacation. Once the story got past the beginning and I began to feel a connection, I couldn’t tear myself away. Everything from what happens to the family and why to who is behind it and why was intense and it doesn’t end there. The story throws twist after twist all the way to the end of the book, leaving me with my mouth hanging open in shock and surprise.

My Final Verdict: If you like to be surprised by a book and enjoy having the rug ripped out from under you, I highly recommend this story. If you enjoy stories that are intense and suspenseful but also have many layers to the story and characters that keep you guessing, then Sail should be your next adventure.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)