Wednesday, December 31, 2014

REVIEW: The Scent Of Scandal by Carole Matthews

Title: The Scent Of Scandal
Author: Carole Matthews
Publisher: William Morrow & Company
Publication Date: November, 2004
Genre: Chick-Lit

Description: Love Stinks

It does when you find out that the guy you're head-over-heels about is already married. That's when Rose Stevens decides to escape her problems and flee to a remote country village. All she wants is peace and quiet, but the quaint, eccentric villagers of Great Brayford have other ideas.

Rose is amazed that her occupation as an aroma-therapist is causing such consternation among the townsfolk, when what else goes on within the village limits seems so much worse: there's a housewife who's a hooker, a sex-starved neighbor and a troublesome Peeping Tom.

Beneath the all-pervasive aroma of garden lavender there's a distinct scent of scandal here, and Rose thinks that her small transgressions seem paltry in comparison -- until she starts to get intimately involved with the sexy local builder ... and her ex-lover arrives out of nowhere with a shocking announcement ... and she unwittingly finds herself in the center of a chaotic, rumor-fed hurricane of scandal that ensures her life is even more complicated than it was before. But maybe that's also because she's in love again.

My Thoughts: What began as a very slow and sluggish start of this book for me, turned out to be quite enjoyable. I really liked Rose and Dan and once all of the introductory blah blah blah for all of the various characters was done, I started to enjoy the story and found myself wondering how it was all going to play out. Considering how Rose is judged by Anais without reason, I am surprised Anais didn’t wind up being murdered, but I did enjoy the way she gets her comeuppance in the end.

I didn’t care for the way Rose handled the return of Hugh and how easily she gave up on Dan. If the story had ended there, I would have put the book in the freezer. Thankfully, the story provides excellent closure and a happy ending.

My Final Verdict: An enjoyable story that will entertain fans of contemporary romance and chick-lit. If you are a patient reader and can get through the sluggish start, I recommend this book.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)