Friday, April 24, 2015

REVIEW: Concealed In Death by J.D. Robb

Title: Concealed In Death (In Death #38)
Author: J.D. Robb
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Publication Date: February, 2014
Genre: Mystery / Thriller

Description: The incomparable J. D. Robb presents the latest moving and suspenseful novel in the #1 New York Times–bestselling Eve Dallas series.

In a decrepit and long-empty New York building, a man begins the demolition process by swinging a sledgehammer into a wall. When the dust clears, he finds two skeletons wrapped in plastic behind it.

The man is Lieutenant Eve Dallas’s billionaire husband, Roarke, and he summons her immediately. His latest real estate project is going to be on hold for a while, because by the time Eve and her crew are finished searching the premises, there are twelve murders to be solved….

After a little digging reveals that the place housed a makeshift shelter for troubled and homeless teenagers back in the mid-2040s, Eve tracks down the people who worked there. Between their recollections and the brilliant work of the force’s new forensic anthropologist, Eve begins to put names and faces to the skeletal remains. They are all girls. A tattooed tough teenager who dealt in illegal drugs. The runaway daughter of a pair of well-to-do doctors. They all had their stories. And they all lost their chance for a better life.

Everyone has something to hide. And when Eve discovers a stunning connection between the victims and someone she knows, she is even more driven to reveal the secrets of the place that was called The Sanctuary—and to find the evil concealed in one human heart.

My Thoughts: After 38 installments, I keep waiting for Eve to lose her edge; expecting it, somehow. I mean, seriously, how long can J.D. Robb continue to churn out story after story with Eve kicking ass and taking names and never missing a beat? I have never read a series that has continued as long as this one has and still manages to deliver a hard-hitting action packed story every single time. Not every story is perfect and not every story was keeper shelf material, but hands down, this series continues to deliver action and suspense in a rich character-driven setting. Throw in some romance and passion and humor and you have a series that brings the reader back book after book seeking the comfort of hanging out with Eve and her posse.

A very interesting aspect of Concealed In Death is the villain is not evil as I have come to expect from these stories. Eve expects it too and actually prefers it. She stands for the dead and what better way to bring them justice if she can deliver up some serious cage time off planet for the evil villain who destroys lives. She lives for it. I felt bad for Eve that she doesn’t get that. She catches the murderer, absolutely, but I found myself a little deflated, on Eve’s behalf, and feeling a lot of compassion for the murderer and empathy for the families, including the murderer’s. Sometimes justice isn’t black and white. Sometimes there are no winners, just survivors and the walking wounded from the fallout of the heinous crimes.

I especially enjoyed getting more of Mavis’s background story. I love the relationship she has with Eve and in this story, the reader can fully understand why they get along so well. They are truly kindred spirits. I also liked Quilla, one of the troubled teens at the group home who has a smart mouth and interesting outlook on what’s going on around her. She makes her presence known early on and often throughout the book and though Eve tries hard to keep her at arm’s length, I think Eve likes her. I hope we see more of her in future books. There is also a very heartwarming scene between Eve and Dennis Mira involving some fuzzy mittens and hat. I really enjoy it when Eve shows her softer, more sentimental side. It never lasts long, but it is always a treat to see. The jury is still out on Dr. Garnet DeWinter, the forensic anthropologist who is working with Eve to reconstruct the skeletal remains to identify the victims. My first impression of her reminds me of Nadine Furst. She’s very assertive and has a strong personality, but I don’t know if she will turn out to be a friend or foe to Eve at this point.

My Final Verdict: Concealed In Death is very mild on the intensity as compared to earlier books, but the story is solid and is a very good installment to the series. This book will appeal to fans of mysteries, thrillers and romance. The addition of the forensic anthropology angle to identify the victims is interesting. I highly recommend this book to the fans of this series and if you haven’t read any of the books in this series, you are in for a treat, but do not start with this book. Start at the beginning with Naked In Death.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)