Tuesday, December 04, 2018

REVIEW: Bah, Humbug! by Heather Horrocks

Title: Bah, Humbug! (Christmas Street #1)
Author: Heather Horrocks
Publisher: Word Garden Press
Publication Date: September, 2011
Genre: Chick-Lit / Christmas-Holiday
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Lexi Anderson is an up-and-coming, Martha Stewart-type TV hostess whose two kids love the Jared Strong adventure novels, which happen to be written by their new neighbor, Kyle Miller.

For the first time in his writing career, Kyle has writer's block - until he sees the snowman on his lawn and realizes this is the perfect place for his villain to hide the weapon. He digs into the snowman to discover two things: the weapon fits into he body just under the head, and the snowman was supposed to be the back drop for Lexi's next show.

From this improbable beginning comes friendship. Can there be more for a woman who is afraid to get close again and a man who has shadows from his childhood?

Families join together and hearts are healed as this couple goes walking in a winter wonderland.

My Thoughts: I enjoyed this charming Christmas story that brings two people together for the holiday. I enjoyed how Lexi and Kyle meet and at first glance, I wondered if they would get along. Destroying your neighbor’s snowman isn’t a good way to begin, but happily, Lexi doesn’t hold a grudge and a friendship begins to blossom. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that her kids absolutely love Kyle and are two of his biggest fans.

Where Lexi is all about Christmas and the spirit of the holiday, Kyle is the complete opposite. No decorations, no cheer, no spirit. He’s on deadline and struggling with writer’s block. Who has time for any of that nonsense? He even puts off his family when they ask him to host a family Christmas gathering. Soon, Kyle finds more reasons to participate in the festivities and by letting go of his anxiety gives him the boost he needs to overcome his writer’s block.

I had a little difficulty accepting how quickly Lexi and Kyle jump from friendship to love and how a little Christmas decorating and hosting a gathering cures Kyle of the grief he has carried his whole life and why he avoided Christmas. But I’m a sucker for a happy ending, so it was all good.

My Final Verdict: Excellent choice for readers who want a little Christmas cheer and whimsy in their reading, but don’t have the time to sit down and read a full-length novel.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)