Tuesday, March 31, 2020

REVIEW: Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

Title: Pretty Girls
Author: Karin Slaughter
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: September 2015
Genre: Thriller / Suspense
Buy the Book: Amazon BN Audible

Description: Twenty years ago, Claire Scott's eldest sister, Julia, went missing. No one knew where she went - no note, no body. It was a mystery that was never solved, and it tore her family apart.

Now another girl has disappeared, with chilling echoes of the past. And it seems that she might not be the only one.

Claire is convinced Julia's disappearance is linked.

But when she begins to learn the truth about her sister, she is confronted with a shocking discovery, and nothing will ever be the same...

My Thoughts: This story was riveting and very intense, but also hard to read due to the subject matter. Those who are faint of heart may not be able to stomach the events that transpire in this story. The best word to describe what Claire Scott and her family have endured is horrific. After witnessing it all, I’m shocked that Claire, Lydia and their mother can form coherent thoughts much less rise above the evil they have endured and fight back.

Claire and her sister Lydia lead very different lives despite what they have gone through and their relationship is practically non-existent. After their older sister vanishes without a trace, Lydia’s life spirals into addiction and bad choices and Claire becomes a trophy wife of Paul, living a life of luxury. I had a hard time relating to Claire at first. She comes across as very spoiled, but I began to admire and respect her more after her husband is murdered. This is not a spoiler as this happens early in the story and segues into the rest of the story. Claire begins to undercover a lot of things she probably wishes she hadn’t, but it leads her on a discovery of what a sham her marriage and life are and reconnects her with her sister and reconciliation.

This story was very graphic and violent, but as horrified and disgusted as I felt at what was happening, I couldn’t look away. I had to know what was going to happen next and I had a lot of admiration at the courage both Claire and Lydia demonstrate to stop this evil from destroying more lives.

My Final Verdict: The road to justice and vindication is paved with the horror done to the victims and their families and in the end, I found the story satisfying and thrilling and heartbreaking.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)