Thursday, April 16, 2020

REVIEW: Waiting For Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey

Title: Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks #1)
Author: Kerry Winfrey
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: June 2019
Genre: Chick Lit / Romantic Comedy
Buy the Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Can a romcom-obsessed romantic finally experience the meet-cute she always dreamed of or will reality never compare to fiction, in this charming debut adult novel from Kerry Winfrey.

Annie Cassidy dreams of being the next Nora Ephron. She spends her days writing screenplays, rewatching Sleepless in Seattle, and waiting for her movie-perfect meet-cute. If she could just find her own Tom Hanks—a man who’s sweet, sensitive, and possibly owns a houseboat—her problems would disappear, and her life would be perfect. But Tom Hanks is nowhere in sight.

When a movie starts filming in her neighborhood and Annie gets a job on set, it seems like a sign. Then Annie meets the lead actor, Drew Danforth, a cocky prankster who couldn’t be less like Tom Hanks if he tried. Their meet-cute is more of a meet-fail, but soon Annie finds herself sharing some classic rom-com moments with Drew. Her Tom Hanks can’t be an actor who’s leaving town in a matter of days...can he?

My Thoughts: You don’t have to be a fan of romcom’s or Tom Hanks to enjoy this book, but if you are, then this book will be a true delight! If the talented Nora Ephron were still with us, I would bet this book would already be optioned into a movie she is directing. There are definitely worse things in life to be hung up on than romcoms and Tom Hanks and our darling heroine, Annie, has set the bar pretty high looking for the perfect man. Her dream of becoming a screenwriter comes a bit closer when Annie lands a job on a movie set assisting the director. Her meet-cute with the lead actor, Drew, leaves Annie mortified and wishing she could crawl under a rock, but, hey, not everything in life is perfectly scripted with full hair and makeup.

I’m a complete sap for romcoms and Tom Hanks so I knew this book would appeal to me. It just had to! And though this isn’t my pick for the best book I have read in 2020 and it probably won’t win any awards of literary acclaim, I loved this book because it was pure fluff and fun. I loved the story, of course, but the characters were so easy to like and get to know. The plot flows beautifully and kept me engaged the entire time. I’ve never read anything else by this author but by the end of the first chapter, I found the sequel and have it ready to go. Yes, there’s a sequel because sometimes a good romcom needs more after that happily ever after and I’m still disappointed that I have yet to learn what happens to Annie and Sam after they leave the Empire State Building.

My Final Verdict: I highly recommend this book to fans of all fiction because everyone needs a story to make them smile and that’s always a good thing.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)