Monday, December 26, 2022

REVIEW: A Partridge and a Pregnancy by Willa Nash

Title: A Partridge and a Pregnancy (Holiday Brothers #3)
Author: Willa Nash
Narrator: Emma Wilder and Teddy Hamilton
Publisher: Audible Studios
Publication Date: April 2022
Genre: Christmas Holiday / Contemporary Romance / Romantic Comedy
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: There are a lot of places I’d rather spend Christmas Eve morning than on a cold, snowy sidewalk outside someone else’s home. I’d kill to be sitting beside a fireplace, drinking cocoa, wearing flannel pajamas and reading a book.

Instead, I’m here, standing in front of my one-night stand’s house, working up the courage to ring the doorbell and tell him I’m pregnant.

I hate that term—one-night stand. It sounds so cheap and sleezy. Tobias Holiday is neither of those things. He’s handsome and caring. Witty and charismatic. And once, a long time ago, he was mine.

Our one-night reunion was only supposed to be a hookup. A fling with an old lover. A parting farewell before I moved to London and put my feelings for him an ocean away. How exactly am I supposed to explain to Tobias that I’m having a baby? His baby? Maybe I could sing it. He always loved the silly songs I made up in the shower.

Three French hens, two turtle doves.

And a partridge and a pregnancy.

My Thoughts: I have to say that the third installment of the Holiday Brothers series was my least favorite. There was too much of the big misunderstanding trope that is rarely done effectively in the first place and, frankly, is a big waste of time for the reader. Here we have Eva and Tobias who are college sweethearts but broke up at graduation when Tobias proposed and she turned him down because she wanted to move to New York. Several years later, she’s back in town before she starts a new job in London and decides, ”hey, why don’t I give Tobias a ring and get together for a drink?” Six weeks later, she is standing on his doorstep trying to figure out how to break the news to him that she’s knocked up. Seriously? How stupid can you be? Do you honestly expect me to believe that a modern woman who would forego marriage to focus on her career would rely on just a condom for birth control? Well congratulations, the condom broke and the rabbit died.

So now, Eva and Tobias are trying to figure out what their next step is going to be and how they are going to raise this child together. It’s made apparent early on that Eva and Tobias both want this child, though I can’t recall a discussion about any other options. What really annoyed me is their whole past getting dredged up. She wants to move to London. His life is in Montana. Neither one is willing to ask the other to make a change. Eva actually throws that in Tobias’ face that he never asked her to stay in Montana all those years ago. What?! Hello?! Doesn’t a marriage proposal kind of suggest that he wants you to stay?! Tobias doesn’t want to ask her to stay, he wants her to want to stay. Sorry, I’m with Tobias on this one. He already proposed and you threw it in his face.

So yes, this book annoyed the eggnog out of me. I thought Eva was dense and clueless. How much more obvious does Tobias need to be for you to see that he wants you, you stupid woman?

Fortunately, this book redeems itself when after their last big blow up and she leaves for the airport, big brother Maddox swoops in and forces Tobias to realize some facts about what family is and the last two chapters turned it all around for me. God Bless Us, Everyone! It’s a Christmas miracle!

Final Verdict: Though I wasn’t thrilled with the circumstances Tobias finds himself in, I liked him and hoped he would get a happy conclusion. The narration on this audiobook was another winning performance, this time by Emma Wilder and Teddy Hamilton. I highly commend Audible for recognizing great voice talent for the narration of their audiobooks.

If you have committed yourself to the first two books in this series, I recommend this one, if for nothing else but closure. Prepare to be annoyed however but know that Santa is watching and will make sure Eva and Tobias get what they want for Christmas.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)