Sunday, January 08, 2023

REVIEW: The Wrong Man by Kate White

Title: The Wrong Man
Author: Kate White
Narrator: Erin Bennett
Publisher: Dreamscape Media
Publication Date: June 2015
Genre: Mystery / Thriller / Suspense
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: She wanted to be more daring, but one small risk is about to cost her everything—maybe even her life.

Bold and adventurous in her work as owner of one of Manhattan's boutique interior design firms, Kit Finn couldn't be tamer in her personal life. While on vacation in the Florida Keys, Kit resolves to do something risky for once. When she literally bumps into a charming stranger at her hotel, she decides to make good on her promise and act on her attraction. But back in New York, when Kit arrives at his luxury apartment ready to pick up where they left off in the Keys, she doesn't recognize the man standing on the other side of the door. Was this a cruel joke or part of something truly sinister? Kit soon realizes that she's been thrown into a treacherous plot, which is both deeper and deadlier than she could have ever imagined. Now the only way to protect herself, her business, and the people she loves is to find out the true identity of the man who has turned her life upside down.

Adrenaline-charged and filled with harrowing twists at every turn, The Wrong Man will keep readers riveted until the final page.

My Thoughts: I hate it when a book starts out so promising, but then just falls flat, flounders and then fades away. This is such a book. The entire premise sounded really exciting. Woman looking to have an adventure on vacation meets a charming man and decides to go for it. She agrees to meet up with him upon her return to New York, but the man answering the door is not the man she did the horizontal tango with down in Florida. And worse yet, this man claims his identity was stolen and when he goes to Florida, he is murdered. So, it appears that Kit has gotten herself into one whopper of a mess.

Unfortunately, the story just didn’t carry the intensity or suspense I was expecting. Kit quickly finds herself in over her head, not knowing who she can trust. She is being contacted by law enforcement in Florida and New York. The firm that the murdered man works for starts demanding she meet with them as they have questions and then the mystery man reaches out with a story that is so wild that Kit should have just changed her name, her phone number and moved out of town.

The story weaves all over the place without any clear direction where it’s heading. When things finally get wrapped up, I found the ending to be out of place. I had a challenging time with the audio narration and felt my attention drifting quite a bit, so I’m quite sure I missed a lot of vital details but couldn’t muster up the desire or the initiative to go back and fill in the gaps.

It also drove me up the wall that Kit’s assistant, business partner, whatever is named “Baby” and it seemed like the name was completely overused, like practically in every bloody sentence. I wanted to drive railroad spikes through my ears, I was so tired of hearing the name. In addition, the character spends nearly the same amount of time in the book as the main character, I was beginning to wonder whose story this actually was.

My Final Verdict: Overall, fans of mysteries and thrillers may enjoy this one, but give the audio format a hard pass. For this author, I enjoyed her Bailey Weggins series more.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)