Sunday, June 25, 2023

REVIEW: Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

Title: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
Author: Judy Blume
Narrator: Laura Hamilton
Publisher: Listening Library
Publication Date: January 2010
Genre: Teen / Young Adult
Buy The Book: Amazon | BN | Audible

Description: Margaret Simon, almost 12, has just moved from New York City to the suburbs, and she’s anxious to fit in with her new friends. When she’s asked to join a secret club, she jumps at the chance. But when the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first periods, Margaret starts to wonder if she’s normal. There are some things about growing up that are hard for her to talk about, even with her friends.

Lucky for Margaret, she’s got someone else to confide in...someone who always listens.

My Thoughts: Though this book has been around for a very long time, originally published in 1970, it never crossed my mind to pick it up until I heard about the movie coming out. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I will watch the movie, but enjoyed this book, a coming-of-age story about a girl who has meaningful conversations with God about getting her period, growing breasts, liking boys and whether she should be Jewish or Christian.

I liked Margaret and thought she was pretty typical of most girls her age, though it was never my experience to brag to my friends about who got their period or, more importantly, who got it first. Additionally, it was never an occasion that was celebrated, at least not with my parents.

I listened to the unabridged audio format that was a fast listen at just over 3 hours in length. Laura Hamilton’s performance was very good and breathed life into all of the characters, giving me a better understanding of them and their personalities.

My Final Verdict: This book’s target audience is for children ages 9-12, but I may not have understood the references had I read this then. Judy Blume is a talented author with an excellent insight and voice that will appeal to readers of all ages.


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)