Monday, December 20, 2004

A Series Of Unfortunate Events

I saw an episode of Oprah a few weeks back where she had Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep on promoting their new movie, A Series Of Unfortunate Events, based on the Lemony Snicket novels. The previews look really good and Jim Carrey's portrayal of the dastardly Count Olaf is sure to be a show stopper. I had heard the movie is really the first 3 (maybe 4) books combined. Never having read the books before, the movie intrigued me. So, I decided to check it out. I listened to the first book, A Bad Beginning on audio. It was narrated by Tim Curry and he did a fabulous job. The book begins with the three Baudelaire children (Violet, Klaus and Sunny) find themselves suddenly orphans and homeless. Taken to the home of a distant relative, Count Olaf, the children quickly discover that all is not right, when they uncover a plot by Count Olaf to steal their fortune. The story was fast paced with an equal blend of suspense and humor. I hope to have most of the books read before I watch the movie.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I have read the first 2 books: The Bad Beginning and The Reptile Room. I believe Meryl Streep’s character must be from the third book since she hadn't made an appearance in the first two. I did not like the fact that the books got rearranged for the movie. The movie started with book one then went to books two and three (maybe four I don't know); then it went back the book one for the ending.

The books are wonderful for children. The author does not use easy vocabulary just because he's writing for children. He speaks as he would and defines the words as he goes. It's sure to build on ones vocabulary even if you’re grown up, like me.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)