Tuesday, January 25, 2011

REVIEW: Your Big Break by Johanna Edwards

Title: Your Big Break
Author: Johanna Edwards
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: March, 2006
Paperback: 308 pages
Genre: Chick-Lit
Rating: 8/10

Description: Dani Myers has become an expert at romantic breakups ever since she was hired to "facilitate" them for clients of Your Big Break, Inc. In other words, she dumps people for money. But company rule #5 (do not get personally involved) is getting harder to obey. One of her dumpees is turning out to be the kind of guy she might just want to pick up on the rebound. and a new client has just walked in, begging for Dani's help breaking up with The Big Jackass, who's been leading her on all this time-and now turns out to be married.

It would be a routine job except for one problem: the so-called Big Jackass is married to none other than Dani's mother.

My Thoughts: Another new to me author brings a very entertaining story about a woman who works in the unhappy side of love and relationships. Dani Myers’s family thinks she works as website designer. The truth they don’t know is that Dani works for a company that people hire to dump their significant others. This isn’t an easy job for Dani because she is too compassionate and sympathetic to the people getting dumped. This becomes evident when she begins befriending the people who are dumped and even matchmaking.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this story is the numerous layers of the story and the different characters. Dani finds herself attracted to one of the men she is supposed to dump and is so reluctant to hurt him, she does the dumping anonymously. Another client is a womanizer who should qualify for some kind of frequent flyer program with the number of women he has hired Dani to break up with. Yet another client is revealed to be dating Dani’s father, who just happens to be still living with and married to Dani’s mother.

Unfortunately, when relationships are built upon deception and dishonesty, it’s only a matter of time before the walls come tumbling down. Dani is left trying to make things right with numerous people in both her professional and personal life.

I will be looking for more books by this author and recommend Your Big Break to anyone looking for a story that provides a happy ending from an unusual theme.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)