Friday, February 18, 2011

REVIEW: Slightly Single by Wendy Markham

Title: Slightly Single (Slightly, #1)
Author: Wendy Markham
Publisher: Red Dress Ink
Publication Date: January, 2002
Paperback: 352 pages
Genre: Chick Lit
Rating: 9/10

Description: For every girl who's ever endured a long, hot urban summer on her own, Slightly Single is the summer breeze you've been waiting for!

A heat wave in Manhattan is enough to drive a girl crazy, and for Tracey Spadolini, a 24-year old New York transplant who's been "left behind" for the summer, there's even more to sweat about. Her Slightly Significant Other, Will, will be returning from summer stock in September, to pick up where they left off. (Or will he?)

But, in the days after Will's departure, Tracey decides it's time for a reality check. Her un-air-conditioned East Village apartment is a dump, her entry-level ad job sucks, her thighs don't seem to be getting any thinner, and Will seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. So, Tracey, with the help of her friends and one very attentive guy, decides to spend her summer reinventing herself . . . and taking a chance on liking the new woman she becomes.

A refreshingly honest account of universal female dilemmas, Slightly Single is an engaging story of one young woman's search for happiness.


My Thoughts: Slightly Single by Wendy Markham is an example of why I love the Chick-Lit genre. My reading tastes vary far and wide but when I want a heroine who is intelligent, funny, witty, and manages to rise above whatever life throws at her, I turn to this genre. As with everything, there have been disappointments, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this treasure buried in my “to be read mountain”. Surprised, also, to see how long it has been languishing there.

Tracey is a very likeable character. She possesses many of the character traits I admire and wish more people had. She’s nice, loyal, and considerate. Unfortunately, none of these traits seem to get her anywhere. Her boyfriend decides to take off to upstate New York for summer stock and doesn’t seem inclined to want Tracey with him. Her boss is an overbearing jerk who expects her to run his personal errands. Lastly, Tracey is appalled at the image she sees looking back at her in the mirror.

Tracey doesn’t know how she is going to survive all summer by herself in New York City in a dumpy apartment while Will is away. She decides it is time to reinvent herself. She begins by deciding to lose the weight she has been carrying, start saving more money and begin reading the classic novels she hasn’t gotten around to. I liked that Tracey doesn’t wallow in pity and appears to think quickly on her feet.

Of course, not everything goes smoothly for Tracey. She has her moments when she stumbles and falls, but she’s a character that doesn’t stay down for long.

Along the way, she has some great friends to lean on and I love how this story left me eager for the next book in the series. I absolutely could not stand Tracey’s boyfriend, Will. I thought he was shallow and selfish and enjoyed that Tracey’s best friend thinks he’s gay. I did like Tracey’s friends, didn’t get much time with the family so I’m shelving my opinion on them for later as they may show up in later books. Liked Tracey’s coworkers and intensely disliked her boss.

Overall, this was a great start to a series that I’m looking forward to reading more of to see what becomes of Tracey and if she manages to find the happily ever after we all want…

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)