Tuesday, October 23, 2012

REVIEW: A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Title: A Perfect Blood (The Hollows #10)
Author: Kim Harrison
Publisher: HarperVoyager
Publication Date: February, 2012
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Rating: 10/10

Description: Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the I.S. and FIB, former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth: a human hate group is trying to create its own demons to destroy all Inderlanders, and to do so, it needs her blood.

She's faced vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more, but humanity itself might be her toughest challenge yet.

My Thoughts: I initially started out listening to this book on audio because the narrator brings such life, personality and entertainment to the story with Jenks's lines on their own. Unfortunately, my head wasn't in the story and I began contemplating giving up entirely. Instead, however, I took a break and started over with the print edition, and couldn't put the book down. Though I sorely missed hearing Jenks's voice and all of his Tinkerbell quips and expletives, I felt more connected to the story.

Now that Rachel has been officially classified as a demon, she has lost the privileges of the mundane and ordinary that we mere mortals take for granted. Having a driver's license and a registered vehicle, for example, is one of the fringe benefits of humanity that is denied to Rachel. In exchange for obtaining her license and vehicle registration, Rachel agrees to investigate the murders of witches. These murders aren't your run of the mill ritualistic murders. These murders are the result of a hate group trying to create their own demons. The interesting twist for me is that the hate group is made up of humans and they prove to be quite a difficult undertaking for Rachel and her gang.

We see a lot more of Trent in this story as their relationship begins to evolve more into a friendship instead of bitter adversaries. Personally, I am glad to see this. I've always felt Trent would be better as an ally for Rachel instead of an enemy. I am looking forward to what happens to them next. I certainly would not be opposed to a romance between them, though if you had asked me for my opinion on this subject five books ago, I would have given a very different answer.

I never tire of Jenks and though it's interesting to see the beginning of something between him and Belle, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. I don't want to see Jenks hurt and I don't know if pairing him with a fairy is a good idea.

Not nearly enough Al in this book, unfortunately. Throughout this entire series, Al has turned out to be the biggest surprise for me. I'm convinced that for the first time in his entire existence, this demon has developed feelings for his itchy witch. I don't necessarily want to see them explored or see Rachel living in the ever after with him, but I think it makes for a very interesting dynamic.

I'm hoping that now it appears that Rachel has finally made peace with the fact that she's a demon, she will come out much more self-confident and that can only mean greater success for her. I look forward to finding out.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)