Wednesday, April 10, 2013

REVIEW: Deadly Legacy by Robin Burcell

Title: Deadly Legacy (Kate Gillespie #3)
Author: Robin Burcell
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: January, 2003
Genre: Mystery / Thriller

Description: San Francisco P.D. Homicide Inspector Kate Gillespie's investigation into a bizarre apparent murder/suicide is threatening to careen out of control. A dead man might not be dead. The families of the deceased are hiding something. And there are blood-soaked threads reaching into some very lofty places. But most perplexing of all are the shocking revelations of one of the "victims" dark and dangerous history -- the more Kate learns, the less she knows. It's a case that has placed Kate Gillespie on the hot seat as her investigation gets bigger by the moment -- and puts her perilously high on a rabid killer's hit list.

My Thoughts: When I first met Kate Gillespie in Every Move She Makes, I knew I would like her and I have not been disappointed. With the follow-up book Fatal Truth, I was even more intrigued by this character. In the third installment, Robin Burcell reveals a side to this character that I enjoyed. The human side. Gillespie is not just a cop; she's human and comes with all of the imperfections we all have within us. Gillespie makes a poor choice, showing a lapse in judgment that could have cost her the badge and career she loves. She's not a bad cop, she's human and she made a choice rooted in her human emotions. It's sad when good cops make bad decisions but it happens all the time. I enjoyed this plot dynamic because Robin Burcell wrote it with such stark clarity that the reader can't help but feel bad for the position Kate has put herself in. The good news is that Gillespie has a high moral code and is ethical so she does the right thing and comes forward with her transgression. She then spends the majority of the rest of the story trying to get past it while wondering if she will have a career waiting when this case is completed. Add into the mix that Torrance is assigned to Internal Affairs and it makes for some very awkward and uncomfortable encounters. I certainly am not alone in wondering if Kate's career will survive this cloud and if she and Torrance will find their way to one another.

This case was quite interesting as Kate learns that one of the victims used to be a good friend of hers. Kate is obviously shocked but it doesn't end there as Kate learns more about the dark side of the double life the victim was living and the people involved. I enjoyed this story line as it once again showed me Kate's human side as she tries to put aside the past and focus on the investigation. Kate's old partner, Scolari, briefly comes out of retirement to lend a helping hand and I quite enjoyed their interactions. I like to be surprised and maybe a little shocked when the bad guy's identity is finally revealed in a book. Of course, I am trying to figure it out as I go along, but having the plot twist out of nowhere is a lot of fun and keeps me on my toes. I was beyond shocked at who was behind the killings and maybe a little more shocked that I was happy that my guess was wrong.

For me, the toughest part of this book were the nails I was chewing in anticipation of what would transpire with Torrance. I think he and Kate are great together and belong with one another but his announcement that he is leaving to take a position with the FBI really deflated me. There are a lot of loose ends with these two and I hope to get some closure in the next book, as it appears to be the last book in this series.

My Final Verdict: Though I am quite bummed that this series is nearing the end, I am still intrigued with the characters and absolutely love that the author draws on her own personal law enforcement knowledge to make this series and the characters realistic and believable. I felt completely drawn into the story and connected with the characters. This is a very good book that will appeal to readers who enjoy romantic suspense, mysteries and thrillers, but I really recommend the complete series.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am not a professional reviewer, but I love to read and share my opinions on my reading with others who are interested. I work full time but my ideal perfect day would be to curl up with a good book. The majority of the books I review here are from my private collection and my reviews are provided purely for entertainment purposes. I receive no compensation whatsoever for sharing my thoughts and review on any book. If you would like me to review your book, please email me at sharalsbooks@yahoo.com Happy Reading! :o)